Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Bite One Butt --- plus A Review

Default One Bite One Butt --- plus A Review

The need for negative ions
    Been staring at my rod-n-reels lately every time I go out through the garage to get in my car. It's been making me "jones" for the surf all week long

Not the best
    Yesterday I looked at my calendar and then the weather forecasts for the week. Uh oh, I realized that today would probably be the only time I could get in some sand time for a while. The conditions for the particular beach I wanted to hit weren't that good - low tide (this beach needs some water), lots of moonlight. When I got there there wasn't any bait presence either plus there was one inquisitive 'water dog' making his rounds looking for breakfast. But I didn't care.

Scratched and satisfied
    I got on the sand around 6:20AM and spend my time throwing an LC. A dood was stopped to watch me and luckily I got a nice hit and stuck a butt which I landed. He thought that was cool and told me," that's a nice halibut." It was a short and turned out to be the only hit I would get for the whole session. I wasn't expecting I would get anything, so I was happy.

FYI: I looked for a surfer. I spotted a padldle board dood down the beach a bit. I wasn't motivated nor energetic (I didn't want to ask him for help) so I let the butt go with out trying to make it go
    Review - LC 110 Flash Minnow with #56 Sea Bass hooks
    I've been trying out my LCs with the treble hooks swapped out with Gamakatsu Sea Bass #56 single hooks.

Advantages
    At this point I've landed YFCs, calicos, butts and some cudas on this single hooks LC. There are lots of cool benefits with this customized this way:
    1. better hook sets - almost always deep and fish safe
    2. same LC action on relatively slower retrieves
    3. much better in weedy situations - picks ups up less grass than trebles
    4. so much less likely to get snagged/hung up on rocks and even when it does it is easy to get unstuck

big downside
    By changing out the three trebles (and one split ring) for 2 single hooks, the LC doesn't suspend any longer. It floats, requiring a constant retrieve to keep it own under. You can't pause or dead stick effectively. This is a "no go" for me as the pause suspend is critical for me.

Summary
    I'm gunna keep a couple of Sea Bass hook LC's with me for certain situations where the regular LC doods are harder to fish (lots of rocks and weeds). Otherwise, I'm sticking with the standard equipped models (with better quality trebles of course Cool ) Of course this is all my own observation and opinion

See ya on the loop-d-loop,

Nick

nice! any way you could speak to City Wife and let her know that fishing rods are not just for decoration?

Hi ya anchor3n1,

A nice way to start off the year Brotha Nick ... and it's always good when I hear that my friends are out-in-the-suds (even without me) ... catching fish!!!! WTG!!

I enjoyed your tackle breakdown.
    I've been known to change-out quite a few of my hooks as well!
    Especially during the Surf- Striped Bass Season ... these bad boys have been known to straighten out ST-36 and ST-41 treble hooks.

Knowing you Brotha as well as I do .... I know that you were completely prepared for any and all challenges that would rear-up in front of you on this day.

Thanx for the fish report Nick,

PS ... BIG HUGS to the special ladies that surround you please .... "Happy New Year Brotha"!!

SP Dan <"))><

Good job Brother...
    Good to see a report from you.
    Tell the ladies I said hello.
    God Bless,
    Robert
    <><

p.s. headed to belize for a missions trip at the end of the month.

Prayers Please

suggest you try Mike Ikonelli Gamagatsu #5 trebles. They have them at Tackle warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by anchor3n1 View Post
    The need for negative ions
    Been staring at my rod-n-reels lately every time I go out through the garage to get in my car. It's been making me "jones" for the surf all week long

Not the best
    Yesterday I looked at my calendar and then the weather forecasts for the week. Uh oh, I realized that today would probably be the only time I could get in some sand time for a while. The conditions for the particular beach I wanted to hit weren't that good - low tide (this beach needs some water), lots of moonlight. When I got there there wasn't any bait presence either plus there was one inquisitive 'water dog' making his rounds looking for breakfast. But I didn't care.

Scratched and satisfied
    I got on the sand around 6:20AM and spend my time throwing an LC. A dood was stopped to watch me and luckily I got a nice hit and stuck a butt which I landed. He thought that was cool and told me," that's a nice halibut." It was a short and turned out to be the only hit I would get for the whole session. I wasn't expecting I would get anything, so I was happy.

FYI: I looked for a surfer. I spotted a padldle board dood down the beach a bit. I wasn't motivated nor energetic (I didn't want to ask him for help) so I let the butt go with out trying to make it go
    Review - LC 110 Flash Minnow with #56 Sea Bass hooks
    I've been trying out my LCs with the treble hooks swapped out with Gamakatsu Sea Bass #56 single hooks.

Advantages
    At this point I've landed YFCs, calicos, butts and some cudas on this single hooks LC. There are lots of cool benefits with this customized this way:
    1. better hook sets - almost always deep and fish safe
    2. same LC action on relatively slower retrieves
    3. much better in weedy situations - picks ups up less grass than trebles
    4. so much less likely to get snagged/hung up on rocks and even when it does it is easy to get unstuck

big downside
    By changing out the three trebles (and one split ring) for 2 single hooks, the LC doesn't suspend any longer. It floats, requiring a constant retrieve to keep it own under. You can't pause or dead stick effectively. This is a "no go" for me as the pause suspend is critical for me.

Summary
    I'm gunna keep a couple of Sea Bass hook LC's with me for certain situations where the regular LC doods are harder to fish (lots of rocks and weeds). Otherwise, I'm sticking with the standard equipped models (with better quality trebles of course Cool ) Of course this is all my own observation and opinion

See ya on the loop-d-loop,

Nick
    Nick, I don't know how well this would work, but could try wrapping some .010 diameter soft lead wire around those single hooks and lock in place with some crazy glue. Just a quick thought, though it may cause more problems than it solves.

Nice Butt!

Once again Nick, nice results and great report. See ya on the sand

Ones better than none,nice way to scratch the jones,I've got a bad case of it myself,nice detailed report,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Suspend-dots, or other little lead stickers can be used to get your neutral buoyancy back, you can make the bait nose up or down depending on where you put them if you like. flat would seem to be the best though. Bring the pack with you so you can adjust the wt. or replace them if they fall off too. it takes some fiddling around with but once you dial it in you can make them suspend every time without even testing each lure. Cut the dots in half for even more fine tuning :) I'll stick a couple on some of my smaller baits to get longer casts, the lures will sink at that point but i don't care when doing a steady retrieve.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    nice! any way you could speak to City Wife and let her know that fishing rods are not just for decoration?
    Tim your my friend. I wouldn't want to disrupt the marital equilibrium that the angling equipment has brought to the City Family home LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya anchor3n1,

A nice way to start off the year Brotha Nick ... and it's always good when I hear that my friends are out-in-the-suds (even without me) ... catching fish!!!! WTG!!

I enjoyed your tackle breakdown.
    I've been known to change-out quite a few of my hooks as well!
    Especially during the Surf- Striped Bass Season ... these bad boys have been known to straighten out ST-36 and ST-41 treble hooks.

Knowing you Brotha as well as I do .... I know that you were completely prepared for any and all challenges that would rear-up in front of you on this day.

Thanx for the fish report Nick,

PS ... BIG HUGS to the special ladies that surround you please .... "Happy New Year Brotha"!!

SP Dan <"))><
    Hey SP Dan: I'm always glad to receive your kind and encouraging posts to my little reports. I can always count on your friendship Yes I am gunna be hitting the striper haunts up here in Ventura County over the next several weeks with the hope of connecting with one hopefully/finally.

One of these weekends when the bite is more consistent (likely by March), I'm gunna text you and see if we can finally do that next joint session.

Your the best my friend,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Good job Brother...
    Good to see a report from you.
    Tell the ladies I said hello.
    God Bless,
    Robert
    <><

p.s. headed to belize for a missions trip at the end of the month.

Prayers Please
    Hi Brother!!!!!

That sounds great -- we will be praying for a fruitful missions trip for you and your team for sure!!! The gals say, "Hi" back.

Blessings to you Robert : 0

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    suggest you try Mike Ikonelli Gamagatsu #5 trebles. They have them at Tackle warehouse.
    Howdy Mikey:

Thanks you for the tip -- keep up the awesome fishing adventures you've been having lately (I'm enjoying reading your reports my friend)

take care,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by FishingwithDave View Post
    Nick, I don't know how well this would work, but could try wrapping some .010 diameter soft lead wire around those single hooks and lock in place with some crazy glue. Just a quick thought, though it may cause more problems than it solves.

Nice Butt!
    Howdy Dave

Thank you for the idea. Ya, I'm not going to throw in the towel on my single hook LCs just yet after all. As your idea suggests, adding just a little extra weight (perhaps adding a nail polish clear coat or larger/heavier split rings) is enough to do the trick. I will be reporting my further experiments with these guys here in the weeks to come.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by vdisney View Post
    Once again Nick, nice results and great report. See ya on the sand
    Yes Verne, I appreciate your friendship -- I'm sure sooner or later we will connect again on the sand - I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Ones better than none,nice way to scratch the jones,I've got a bad case of it myself,nice detailed report,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic
    Vic you said it!!!! Take care,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    Suspend-dots, or other little lead stickers can be used to get your neutral buoyancy back, you can make the bait nose up or down depending on where you put them if you like. flat would seem to be the best though. Bring the pack with you so you can adjust the wt. or replace them if they fall off too. it takes some fiddling around with but once you dial it in you can make them suspend every time without even testing each lure. Cut the dots in half for even more fine tuning :) I'll stick a couple on some of my smaller baits to get longer casts, the lures will sink at that point but i don't care when doing a steady retrieve.
    Hi twin22:

Thank yo for sharing your ideas for adding a little weight to the lure to achieve a more acceptable buoyancy. Yup, as I said above to Dave, I am gunna keep working with my single hook doods for a while longer as a little tweaking may make them the bomb after all.

all the best to you,

Nick
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 01-21-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast