Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Baitcast Reel on an Ugly Stick GX2?

Default Baitcast Reel on an Ugly Stick GX2?

Hey guys, I was wondering if it's possible to put a baitcasting reel on an Ugly Stick GX2? The rod came with a Shakespeare spinning reel(not sure of the model).

What I want to do is put a baitcaster on my Ugly Stick and then put the Shakespeare spinning reel on my lighter Zebco. I am new to fishing so don't judge on my low end gear haha

Thanks!

Ugly Stick GX2 rods are made either
    to be bait casting or spinning. Since yours
    came with a spinning reel it will be a spinning
    rod. You can put the two together, unless
    you get really good at working lures it should not
    affect you that much.

Fishing rods are usually designed to bend a curtain direction but for a beginner you wont notice too much difference when flipping it over to use a baitcaster other than the unnecessarily large eyes and extra flex of a light rod. I would recommend getting a proper baitcasting rod with a trigger grip as soon as you can afford to though, something a bit stiffer. You should be able to find a decent rod for $20-$30. then you can have 2 rods setup, spinning rod for light line finesse fishing and the baitcaster for throwing heavier lures. Practicing casting a baitcaster with a rod that is too light is going to cause some problems if not right away when you go to a stiffer rod.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    Fishing rods are usually designed to bend a curtain direction but for a beginner you wont notice too much difference when flipping it over to use a baitcaster other than the unnecessarily large eyes and extra flex of a light rod. I would recommend getting a proper baitcasting rod with a trigger grip as soon as you can afford to though, something a bit stiffer. You should be able to find a decent rod for $20-$30. then you can have 2 rods setup, spinning rod for light line finesse fishing and the baitcaster for throwing heavier lures. Practicing casting a baitcaster with a rod that is too light is going to cause some problems if not right away when you go to a stiffer rod.
    Thanks for the detailed response. I think I'll just leave the Ugly Stik as is, then. Are there any baitcaster rod/reel combos under $60 that you would recommend? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response. I think I'll just leave the Ugly Stik as is, then. Are there any baitcaster rod/reel combos under $60 that you would recommend? Thank you.
    Check the Bass Pro website for sales. I'm pretty sure you could get one to learn on for around that price.

Walmart has some but they aren't very durable. They would be great to learn with though.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespea...Combo/10298925

or match up this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pflueger-...-Reel/16794791
    with something like...https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespea...g-Rod/33589333

ABU Garcia black max is a great reel for the money too, I still have 2 rigged up and ready to fish all the time.
    When you do have the money to buy a $150 combo it will be well worth it, you can get 4-5x the life out of a setup that cost twice as much. Defiantly worth the investment long term.