Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Is opening day particularly recommended?

Default Is opening day particularly recommended?

My wife and I try to visit the Sierras once a year - usually in the summer or fall.

However, our understanding is that opening is April 29th this year which is a possibility.

Is fishing particularly excellent on the opening week? love to hear any informed counsel.

Thanks!

If you don't mind a gang of people fishing everywhere you wanna fish at

Presumably that is because fishing is superb during opening day?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Presumably that is because fishing is superb during opening day?
    The opener isnt the best time to go fishing but it is the Opener. I will be there and plan on returning until I am physically unable
    Much of the waters are closed or have restricted access because of snow/ice. Crowds are heavy. And at times rude. Fishing etiquette goes out the window. I've given more than a couple lectures to inconsiderate anglers. Let's just say I've offered to beat some sense into a few people. But I try to be nicer now. Im.older (40s) and just don't have the energy to argue with idiots. You can't fix stupid.
    The opener is a celebration of another trout season.
    Some nice fish will be caught and lost. alot of alcohol will be consumed and some will.be too intoxicated to actually cast a line untilmid afternoon. But that is the opener
    See ya . fish on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    The opener isnt the best time to go fishing but it is the Opener. I will be there and plan on returning until I am physically unable
    Much of the waters are closed or have restricted access because of snow/ice. Crowds are heavy. And at times rude. Fishing etiquette goes out the window. I've given more than a couple lectures to inconsiderate anglers. Let's just say I've offered to beat some sense into a few people. But I try to be nicer now. Im.older (40s) and just don't have the energy to argue with idiots. You can't fix stupid.
    The opener is a celebration of another trout season.
    Some nice fish will be caught and lost. alot of alcohol will be consumed and some will.be too intoxicated to actually cast a line untilmid afternoon. But that is the opener
    See ya . fish on.

Wow....:) That's a pretty thorough answer. Appreciate it. Is there a particular time of the fishing season in which catching fish is at a peak? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Wow....:) That's a pretty thorough answer. Appreciate it. Is there a particular time of the fishing season in which catching fish is at a peak? Thanks.
    You can catch fish year round on the Owens and a few other waters.....probably just not this summer. Fishing in Winter is often better then then summer. This year, the river is overflowing it's banks and creating marshes in the Bishop area and moving south. Access will be very difficult. Creeks and lakes have to be fished during fishing season. Wished I knew the "peak" time but there are so many variables. Do know that getting drunk as a skunk around any of of these fast moving waters is always a way to become immortal as "That Guy" but different strokes.

Was just on the Owens Thursday and Saturday. Have to watch out for banks collapsing too!

I have been fishing the eastern sierras for about 30 years now and I have never been to a season opener. When I go fishing, I go to get away from people not be near them. In my opinion the best time to fish the sierras is after Labor Day up until closing weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Do know that getting drunk as a skunk around any of of these fast moving waters is always a way to become immortal as "That Guy" but different strokes.
    "Hold my beer and watch this...."

Because of the excellent winter, I don't believe many rivers/creeks/streams will be fishable until early-mid summer. Lakes will be stocked but with fewer places to fish should be more crowded than usual.