Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: US General Tool Boxes (Harbor Freight Brand)

Default US General Tool Boxes (Harbor Freight Brand)

Has anybody bought one? Opinions please! Looking to upgrade a 25 year old 26" Craftsman box. They look good for the price...

MM

Spending some fantasy football winnings I see

TD

When I was looking for mine a lot of what i read gave the Harbor Freight toolboxes good reviews and people that had them seem to like them. I went with a Husky and it looks good and works for what I need but is definitely not as well built as my Craftsman from about 15 years ago.

I've found that most all of Harbor Freight is you get what you pay for and if you have a Craftsman, I think you'll be disappointed.

A lot of HF stuff is cheap junk, cheaply made, but there are some hidden gems there that are better than the usual. I paid something like $15 for a sawzall knock-off for a dirty job I had to do, thinking if it just worked once and broke after that, I'd be happy. But it turned out to be a pretty good unit, especially for the price.

This guy did an extensive review of a bunch of different tool boxes, and concluded that the HF 44" box was the best of them all (excluding the Matco, which is probably 10x the price), but the 26" box wasn't that great:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=153445

And yes, Craftsman isn't what it used to be, and now that Sears has sold it to Black and Decker, will probably get even worse.