Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill all Carp

Default Kill all Carp

I thought this was interesting, it is posted on
    signs around lake and on the website.

We need your help getting rid of Carp!

CARP ANGLERS WANTED, CONVENTIONAL ROD AND REEL, SPEAR, OR BOW
    KILL A CARP and FISH FOR FREE!
    KILL A CARP and TENT CAMP FOR FREE!
    KILL A CARP, PROOF REQUIRED!
    LAKE CUYAMACA NEEDS YOUR HELP!
    KILL A CARP!

Crazy.

I'd have a hard time killing a carp. They fight so good, better than any freshwater fish I've ever caught in Socal. A 5lb carp fights many times harder than even my pb 7lb LMB. I do wonder how big the ones are at Cuyamaca. I'd love to try for some if there are 20lbers lurking around.

I've only been there once but I thought the management was goofy!!! Here's why I didn't have much respect for the management team who ran the lake. We drove down in the summer time to catch some Crappie and Bullhead catfish. They sorta were biting so we were planning on C&R our catch. Once we got there they said we must "KILL EVERYTHING WE CATCH!!" (with the exception of Sturgeon) Do you know that was the last summer I ever heard them brag about their Crappie & Bullhead fishing!!! (I wonder why??????)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-08-2017 at 06:00 PM.

You know how good sturgeon taste ��

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I've only been there once but I thought the management was goofy!!! Here's why I didn't have much respect for the management team who ran the lake. We drove down in the summer time to catch some Crappie and Bullhead catfish. They sorta were biting so we were planning on C&R our catch. Once we got there they said we must "KILL EVERYTHING WE CATCH!!" (with the exception of Sturgeon) Do you know that was the last summer I ever heard them brag about their Crappie & Bullhead fishing!!! (I wonder why??????)
    I kinda get why they would want to KILL the crappie and bullheads. Those species reproduce like wildfire and if left uncheck become stunted after several generations. Although I feel like the bass population should keep them in check. Who knows. Then again, there's a overpopulation of carp apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    I kinda get why they would want to KILL the crappie and bullheads. Those species reproduce like wildfire and if left uncheck become stunted after several generations. Although I feel like the bass population should keep them in check. Who knows. Then again, there's a overpopulation of carp apparently.
    In theory that is correct about over populated and stunted fish. However, how many lakes in the LA/Orange County area have that problem??? In reality I wish a whole bunch of them did!!! Can you imagine taking a bunch of kids fishing and catch fish after fish even though they might be small. A problem I wish more lakes had!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-08-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post

KILL A CARP!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the Carp weren't really the problem, but their own mis management was the main culprit. Yet their making the poor Carp the scape goat. (I'm just guessing they really might have a serious Carp problem) But has any other lake other then Lake Elsinore gone to such drastic measures over Carp???? As I said earlier, I thought their rules were a bit peculiar to say the least. The very nice boat attendant told me the rules for keeping everything you catch was there because people didn't know how to properly release fish. That is understandable for Trout, but Bullhead Catfish and Crappie. Those are two of the easiest fish to C&R and have them survive.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-08-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Big Bear is a lake that they prefer that you kill all carp. Hence the bowfishing tournements they have. But they don't post signs like Cuyamaca...

You want to see what carp and stunted crappie do to a lake go to Gregory. This is a sound management tactic for Cuyamaca and they manage the lake strictly which makes good sense to me. Nobody wants Cuyamaca to change from a trout and largemouth lake to a trophy carp lake, well except for one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post

KILL A CARP!

I was thinking of heading out there this weekend after I read your post, but then I saw that it is 2.5 hours away from me and opted out. haha
    Thanks for the heads up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast