Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day after rain

Default Day after rain

I'm planning to go this Sunday with the kids. But there's going to be rain the day before. Does anyone know how SARL water condition after the rain? I'm thinking its going to merky/low visibility and not worth going for trout.

Weatherunderground says no rain until next Monday, so Sunday should be good.

SARL has their "Huckleberry Kid's Pond" that has separate rules (cheaper, opens later) than the main lake, so you might want to look into that.

http://www.fishinglakes.com/location...rry-kids-pond/

I'd give them a call, they'll be happy to tell you all the latest info. 714-694-7210

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    Weatherunderground says no rain until next Monday, so Sunday should be good.

SARL has their "Huckleberry Kid's Pond" that has separate rules (cheaper, opens later) than the main lake, so you might want to look into that.

http://www.fishinglakes.com/location...rry-kids-pond/

I'd give them a call, they'll be happy to tell you all the latest info. 714-694-7210
    Thanks for the info...

Quote Originally Posted by wyu View Post
    I'm planning to go this Sunday with the kids. But there's going to be rain the day before. Does anyone know how SARL water condition after the rain? I'm thinking its going to merky/low visibility and not worth going for trout.
    I was there on Sunday after it rained. The water was like coffee and there were no bites. Saw little action from anyone there that day. I would call ahead to be safe.

Little to no rain tomorrow, and a big storm coming monday, might mean a good pre-frontal Sunday afternoon bite! Who knows???

Do you think the dirty muddy dark water have to do with the bite? I was there today with my kids and I had 8 rods out and didn't get one single bite minus those damn stupid birds.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker-hunter209 View Post
    Do you think the dirty muddy dark water have to do with the bite? I was there today with my kids and I had 8 rods out and didn't get one single bite minus those damn stupid birds.
    Let me tell you a story that happened to me about 15 years ago at SARL. It rained on Thursday so I thought it wouldn't be very good to go fishing there on Friday. I went anyway by myself and found the water a little off color but not too bad. I killed it that day!!!! So on Sunday I invited my friend and his wife and told them it would be wide open based on what happened on Friday. When we got there the water was totally stained from all the runoff coming into the lake. Needless to say the fishing really went into the Crapper!!!! After that I became totally convinced Trout are mostly sight feeders in SARL. So when the Trout can't see because of the rain dirtying up the water. It's more or less a waste of time for the way I like to fish for them in there!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-07-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Eventually they will be hungry and they will eat right ?

Looking at the photos on their web site, it looks like some people are catching fish. I was there last Sunday night (1/1), and the water was really muddy, visibility about one foot. I got skunked.

If I go again when it is like that, I will probably use nitecrawlers, with plenty of scent, and about a 12" leader, figuring they are close to the bottom. The crawlers have some movement, which will hopefully attract fish.

A lot have fish have been planted, so one of these days, it should get really good.

One question I have for the regular fishermen at this lake, do the trout move in even closer to shore when the water is this cloudy? I may have been fishing too far off shore.

I've caught fish casting 5 ft from shore and using like 3 inch long leader. My take is this, when the water is stained/muddy, fish short leader because usually the water near the bottom is usually clearer. Good luck out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast