Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Legal Halibut And Winter Colors 12/28/16 PM Report

Default Legal Halibut And Winter Colors 12/28/16 PM Report

Never really get out and fish the surf here in December. But with the recent great weather we are having. It was a must! Went out about two weeks ago and caught a small Halibut on the Lucky Craft. Went to the harbor on Monday morning and it was cold and caught nothing.
    Rushed out after work and headed to the beach with only an hour to fish in the light. Sun setting fast. Tons of traffic everywhere! Arrived to the beach and got the last parking spot. Had my gear ready. Changed as fast as I could, and headed to the water. I was running the whole way. It was such a beautiful day to be on the sand and in the water. Looked at one spot up the beach that I usually like. It was way to rough. One spot left and it was calm.

Armed with my Daiwa Coastal and Shimano SedonaC5000 spooled with 12#Izorline. I started casting the Lucky Craft FM 110 Pearl White SD.
    Worked an area that looked fishy, the retrieve just didn't feel right with the surge that was present. Casting straight out, retrieve would be on my left. After 20 minutes of zero bites. I decided to cast to my far left and go against the surge. Slowly though! Couple of twitches,stop and then WHAM!

Knew I had something decent on the other end. When I finally beached this beautiful winter Halibut. I was amazed by the colors. The fight was pretty intense and now I know why. I had one barb hooked in the Halibut's nose. So happy that I was able to land this one. My first Halibut this late in December. Here are some pictures.

wow!! LOL

Fished measured out at 25.5 inches and what a battle in the surf.

Awesome to see a great sunset as well. Fishing in late December in the surf is a real bonus!

Was so happy getting the feet wet on such a gorgeous day! Thanks for reading my report and good luck out there and be safe!

Happy New Year to everyone and looking forward to all the 2017 Fish Reports!

Stoked for ya Joel, hope you have a great New Year....................

Nice fish! Great report, thanks!

Yahoo kastmaster1337,

What a grand way to bring your 2016 season to a close!
    Congtrat's on landing that legal beauty! WTG!!

SP Dan <"))><

Great fish,cool pics,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Great way to end the year!
    Beautiful fish and sunset.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice fish and great job getting out there while you could.
    Great way to finish out 2016.