Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Just a little more help needed...

Default Just a little more help needed...

As some of you may know I've been looking to put a surface iron setup for some time know. I just picked up a custom rod (calstar 900m deckhand) and I'm now looking for a reel. I've decided I like the Shimano Torium but I don't know which size to grab. I like both the 20 and 16 size. I like the 16 a little more because it fits a little better in my hand when I palm it but I'm not sure if it carries enough 30-40# to fish the surface iron effectivley. Any help choosing which size would help a ton.
    Thanks
    -Blake

I have the 900L. I am using the Penn Fathom lever drag 2-speed on it. I had a Daiwa LD20 another similar rod (Super Seeker CSW908) which I also like.

These reels are similar to the Torium 16, but the Torium does not have Lever Drag. I really like the lever drag.

I have 2 Torium 14's
    Landed plenty of YT up to 30 lbs. I like the smaller size.
    Usually re-spool almost every trip with 30 lb Izor if much line is lost.

love my 16's have both the trinidad NA and the torium hg, i usually slap on 65 braid with 30 -40 for irons or 20-25 for live bait topped with whatever flavor fluro i need to dependant on the fishing.