Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Unexpected gift of conventional rod and reel

Default Unexpected gift of conventional rod and reel

My brother in law, who is 75 years old, and nowadays only fishes 3/4 day charter boats with his buddies, culled part of his gear collection he no longer uses and gave me a very nice hand-me-down gift.

It's a Shimano Calcutta 400S reel and what I believe is a custom made rod. It's an amber colored blank, so I assume it's fiberglass and the only markings on the rod are "CA1620C 6ft" and "Line Test 8-20." All in excellent condition.

He also included what looks like most of a 1000ft reel of Izorline 12lb CoPolymer line.

I'm an ultralight spinning gear kinda guy until now, but I'll be giving this setup a try on my float tube in the harbors. It will be nice to have a beefier rod when fishing around the rocks for calicos. They do like to run into the rocks when hooked.

Only time will tell how well I can adapt to conventional style after all these years, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Using it for my drop-shot sleeper rod is a natural, but I'm wondering if I decide to cast with it if there is a particular style of fishing the conventional does better than the spinner. So far, I'm mostly tossing swimbaits and doing a drop and jerk retrieve, with the occasional change to a Lucky Craft jerk bait.

Spinning reels are not without their faults and I've definitely spent time on the water fixing line/reel issues, so I'm not worried about backlash in general, these things happen, I'm just hoping to keep it reasonable and not a fun killer.

very cool of your brother in law.
    you can use soft baits, hard baits, etc....
    you will just need to practice using the conventional.
    if it hasn't been serviced in a while,it wouldn't hurt to do so, and maybe upgrade the drags.
    you will like it and it might become your go to reel.
    Happy Holidays.
    Robert
    <><

You'll love it, once you get use to it. In the mean time, go on You Tube for a great way to get back lashes out. "Bait caster How To: Trick For Clearing Backlashes". I use this trick more often than I would like to admit.