Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Nobody knows like shovelnose

Default Nobody knows like shovelnose

There is always that one spot that looks great but over the years you get nothing out of there but shovelnose guitar fish and occasional perch. Also, I got stung there by stingray several years ago. I had to check it out anyway and already came up with report title, just needed the content. Got out there today before the rain on a lunch break and right away noticed how unusually clear water was (flat conditions helped), a bit of grass but nice conditions otherwise, very calm on high tide. I could see the nice-sized fish and some of them jumped sideways- I’m still not sure what species but had silver sides and jumped sideways. Also very small baitfishes were present.

The action on my rusty LC was non-stop:
    First, I got nice taps and lost hookups and saw schools of giant smelt chasing the LC, it was fun hooking them on almost every cast and self-release when slacking the line slightly. The larger blue-backs made for a fun action on light gear.
    Then my LC stops and I reel in a 10” pancake. Then, also just few feet from where I was standing I got nice hookups on a 16 and 20+” models. The biggest one may have been near legal – while I reached for tape he was quietly laying on the beach but got picked up with incoming wave and sprinted back to the Big Blue (I was going to release all fish anyway). I ended the session with solid 12” BSP as the tide started to rapidly drop.
    I haven’t been surf fishing for a while and with so few reports started to forget how fun it can be. I’m glad I got the refresher. There is always something special about getting last call before the rain. I saw a couple fly-fishermen swinging at a different spot surrounded by birds, wonder how did they do?

Sounds like a good day to me...............V

It looks like your hunch about your old spot really paid off for you!

Thanx for the fun read!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 12-28-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Great day! Great title!

gotta love this...