Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake San Vicente

Default Lake San Vicente

I'm thinking about fishing Lake San Vicente within the next couple of weeks. As anyone fished it since it re-opened?

100+ views no comments.....better stick to good ol Skinner.

NFCB I,

I fished San Vacente a month ago and was totally impressed with the improvements they made to the lake. As for the fishing I broke off 4 big fish. After the first thing in the morning the bass moved out of the shallows and into really deeper water, (like 50 to 60 feet deep)! With the structure that had grown up while the new dam was being built, there is a lot of brush / small trees even down at 60 feet. I'd get hooked up and then wrapped up! Super nice fish, real healthy and fat. Water was almost as clear as gin. At that time the water temp was right around 63 - 64 degrees. There were a lots of fish caught by a couple of buddies of mine fishing the same day in a separate boat; but, for some reason all of their fish were in the 3 to 3 1/2 range. The two guys fishing with me both boated 4 lbders, but I just kept breaking off my hook ups. Heavy Fish couldn't turn 'em!

If you go I would highly recommend braided line or some heavy floro. As for baits, we fished plastic with MMIII seeming to be the best. I got bit on a 7" Orange Crush and Green Pumpkin Robo worms.

It is a outstanding lake, with outstanding facilities, I just love it. As someone posted...."it's like going to Disneyland"!!
    Last edited by BassinPLS; 12-16-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks for the great report BassinPLS. I'll definitely get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bob View Post
    100+ views no comments.....better stick to good ol Skinner.
    I'm not giving up on Skinner. I've been getting bit, but I'm constantly breaking fish off when setting the hook. Pat recently informed me that I'm using the wrong knot with my fluorocarbon line. I went on line and found two new knots I'm going to start using.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I'm not giving up on Skinner. I've been getting bit, but I'm constantly breaking fish off when setting the hook. Pat recently informed me that I'm using the wrong knot with my fluorocarbon line. I went on line and found two new knots I'm going to start using.
    Haha. Jaime has finally had the boat out of the water for more than a week since he took it home. We're going to give Skinner a break and hit up DVL in the AM. Not expecting much just looking forward to a change in scenery.

Before I head out I always go through my phone and look at pics of years past. This week 2014 I have a video of you, Pat, and I all within 20 yards of each other stripers blowing up and Pat talking about watching the birds. Hopefully Skinner will pick up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    NFCD I,

I am not sure which knot you found on your internet search; but here is a super easy knot for tying braided line to floro. A buddy of mine sent me this link to a video on the Tackle Warehouse website that shows a what I will call a modified FG Knot. The video is promoting the new Gamakatsu drop-shot hook but 7 minutes into the video the guy shows how he ties his braided line to floro. It is a very strong knot, very small and will pass through 4 mm guides, I love it! I had been using the FG Knot and have now switch to what I call the modified FG Knot. Like Mikey says, "try it you'll like it!

Link:
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/vlogp...?ccode=VLOG362
    Last edited by BassinPLS; 12-17-2016 at 09:29 PM.