Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Purchased a new float tube, rod holder/fish finder recommendation?

Default Purchased a new float tube, rod holder/fish finder recommendation?

I've used my caddis tube for years and it's always been a pain to blow up so I purchased a cumberland. I really would like to add a fish finder to it and maybe try to make a simple designed rodholder (I am bad at putting things together). Can you guys give me some recommendations, I just want something simple and mainly for tubing the castaic lagoon and the occasional eastern sierra trip. Thanks.

I would head on over to the float tube fishing forums , you are bound to find exactly everything you need there as they have a ton of custom rod racks made and fish finder setups made just for your cumberland as that is a very popular tube . http://www.floattubeforum.com/
    Last edited by Misfitdog; 12-16-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Misfitdog View Post
    I would head on over to the float tube fishing forums , you are bound to find exactly everything you need there as they have a ton of custom rod racks made and fish finder setups made just for your cumberland as that is a very popular tube . http://www.floattubeforum.com/
    this is the only fishing forum I check regularly, so thanks for the link.

No problem if you cannot find what you need just ask in the forum there and we will link you into the correct areas , Happy Floating !

Scotty makes a rod mount for float tubes that strap onto your bladder. They are ok...but itd be better to make your own custom one. there are also fish finder mounts out there commercially but all you really need is to look at your side pockets and then mount your fishfinder to a little plano box that will fit snugly into your zipper pouch...just have to figure out a way to mount your transducer. I've fished in fish cats and cumberlands...very similar..there are two places to clip things onto the sides...that would be a good place to design something like a rod holder or fish finder mount that will clip onto the sides...out of pvc...then you can just ziptie your transducer to the bottom when you launch..cut off the ziptie when you come in. Zipties are cheap. Im probably going to McGiver a better pvc rod holder and fish finder mount for my tube this spring..its a togiak...very similar to cumberland or fishcats.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. If you're still interested, and don't want to make your own, I recommend the CastMate Systems rod holder. I have one and it's freaking awesome. I've also built several of my own rod holders and the main problem I've encountered with them is a lack of flexibility. With the CastMate, you have infinite flexibility and you can position and re-position to your heart's content. It's also considerably lighter in weight than any of my plastic pipe holders.

As for a fish-finder, I'm using the Raymarine Wi-Fish with my old gen 2 iPad. Mounting the iPad was tricky until I found the Armor-X waterproof case and mount. I use the Scotty fishfinder mount to strap it all to the tube. I used a Pelican 1120 case for the battery with waterproof cable glands to make the pass-through the walls of the box.

If you're still looking to build, here's a video for a pipe style holder.

https://youtu.be/TDFRQ_ibd18