Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Kayaking Newport

Default Kayaking Newport

Who else is kayaking this Sunday? I'm thinking about launching near the park by the 7/11 at 05:00-06:00 if anyone wants to meet up. Now say if I wanted some live bait, how much does it cost per scoop/ half scoop? Do they even sell to yakkers? What would be good baits to throw other than some big hammer swimbaits? Are there better spots to launch from? Any info is always appreciated.

If they are open, they will sell you bait.
    Drop shot some Zoom flukes and also use some top water lures.
    Good Luck,
    Robert
    <><

Thanks a bunch Robert. I'll definitely have a drop shot setup on board as well as a few poppers, stick baits and the like in a box.
    just found this:http://fishingnetwork.net/index.php?pageid=livebait
    So if anyone else has questions on pricing for a 1/2 or 1/4 scoop of bait, here are the prices.
    -Josiah-

They only operate from early April to mid November. They're down for the winter now. I was out at Newport a couple of weeks ago and they were definitely not on the water.

I'm sure you know that Newport is tough and definitely requires your best game. I do every little thing I can.. extra quiet, sharpen my hooks, 6 lb flurocarbon leader, Pro-Cure, and I always check to make sure my swim baits are dropping straight and swimming down and not spiraling.

Lots of hits on the drop, so I don't let the line free spool very much after the cast. I close the bail fairly quickly and grab the line with a finger so I can watch for small jumps in the line and feel for light taps. Bass will often suck in a bait and then just sit there with it for a second before they decide to swim off or spit it out. You'll miss fish if you're expecting an obvious take every time. Once the bait hits the bottom and the line goes slack, I pick the rod tip up immediately to lift the bait off the bottom as soon as it hits. A couple of turns on the reel to pick up the slack line and then I watch it drop again.

I've also switched lately from generic round lead heads to the big hammer heads with natural looking eyes and a more natural profile. They cost more but I'm convinced they're worth it.

Good luck!