Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DFW trout, we should know stock days and weeks

Default DFW trout, we should know stock days and weeks

Hey guys I'm not sure how you feel about this but I think it's about time we know our stock week and days for trout. Biggest reason is the birds, cormorants and pelicans are absolutely destroying these trout. I can't take my boys to a local lake and catch anything by the weekend. I emailed DFW about this issue so I'm hoping they will get back to me. We know these birds aren't paying fishing license fees so we deserve a chance at these trout.

Quote Originally Posted by georatm2011 View Post
    Hey guys I'm not sure how you feel about this but I think it's about time we know our stock week and days for trout. Biggest reason is the birds, cormorants and pelicans are absolutely destroying these trout. I can't take my boys to a local lake and catch anything by the weekend. I emailed DFW about this issue so I'm hoping they will get back to me. We know these birds aren't paying fishing license fees so we deserve a chance at these trout.
    You know what might work???? Since the DFW owns their own hatchery's they should be able to pick which day's they stock. In the small ponds they stock which are more vulnerable to bird depredation. They should always try to stock on Friday's. That way everyone knows which day they are going to stock and it also gives the weekend people more of a fair shot at these fish.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-14-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Maybe they should stock trout that are too big for the birds to eat... The trout planted at the private lakes never had this problem.
    I know its more money for bigger trout and DFW isn't going to do it but wouldn't it be better to put fewer larger trout than tons of little ones that get eaten by birds and larger bass within days of the stock? I really don't mind the bass and cats eating them as i normally don't target trout anyway. The small ponds that get stocked are kinda a waste if you ask me. I have fished several of them with my son and unless you get there early on sat just after the stock there are no fish left to catch. I also read about stocks of 1000lbs at silverwood and other larger lakes that need 2-4K trout to really do any justice to the fishing.

The idea behind only telling everyone the week of the stock is so the doesn't get fished out on Thursday, I have still had very good fishing on friday the week of stocks and if you can only fish on weekends there are usually a few left if you can get there early sat and know how to catch them. its not as easy when there are only 20 trout left but they can be caught.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    Maybe they should stock trout that are too big for the birds to eat... The trout planted at the private lakes never had this problem.
    I know its more money for bigger trout and DFW isn't going to do it but wouldn't it be better to put fewer larger trout than tons of little ones that get eaten by birds and larger bass within days of the stock? I really don't mind the bass and cats eating them as i normally don't target trout anyway. The small ponds that get stocked are kinda a waste if you ask me. I have fished several of them with my son and unless you get there early on sat just after the stock there are no fish left to catch. I also read about stocks of 1000lbs at silverwood and other larger lakes that need 2-4K trout to really do any justice to the fishing.

The idea behind only telling everyone the week of the stock is so the doesn't get fished out on Thursday, I have still had very good fishing on friday the week of stocks and if you can only fish on weekends there are usually a few left if you can get there early sat and know how to catch them. its not as easy when there are only 20 trout left but they can be caught.
    I remember in the 80's a 1000 pound plant was the norm.Sante fe dam was jumping with trout. I think they should start stocking Tilapia!Good eating fish and they eat vegetation,no more bluestone? They breed like crazy and can feed the protected invasive birds!

Tilapia sounds like a great idea but the poachers would still have their way with em. We need to put more pressure on the DFW to do right by us, I have been pressing them on certain issues and I won't quit till i get some real answers.

That isn't a bad idea but then the poachers/bucketeers will know what day and they will camp out and clean out the lake.
    Then again with anglers knowing the date, anglers will swarm the lake and fish it out quickly.

So it's either the pelicans/comorants or the poachers will clean out the lake haha =0)

I remember about 10 years ago, no one would really fish MSP during trout season and you would have a blast C&R almost all day long. Those days are long gone now.
    Last edited by Nuoc Mam; 12-16-2016 at 08:43 AM.

If anybody has fished Balboa Lake, you'll know why tilapia are not a wise stocking choice.

Quote Originally Posted by georatm2011 View Post
    Let shoot a few birds with my shotgun😉😉😉

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    If anybody has fished Balboa Lake, you'll know why tilapia are not a wise stocking choice.
    I've never fished balboa, do tell, please.

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    I've never fished balboa, do tell, please.
    Well, if you want to catch eight million 2 inch tilapia in a sitting, go out to Lake Balboa, get a size 12 mosquito hook, thread it with a piece of redworm, and tie on a tiny bobber. I'd say "hang on," but with a 2 inch tilapia tugging at your line, there's not much to hang onto. You can make many friends with the lake's various predator birds as you feed them dozens of these guys.

(Of course, there are bigger specimens, but good luck getting your worm down to them before the rat packs attack)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast