Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quagga Mussels found in Pyramid

Default Quagga Mussels found in Pyramid

i'll just leave this here...

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-n...g-restrictions

http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php?...est&Itemid=197

"BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Six Quagga mussels were found in the Angeles Tunnel Thursday, which serves as a connector between Pyramid Lake and two State Water Project components, according to the California Department of Water Resources.

Pyramid Lake, Elderberry Forebay and Castaic Lake are considered infested due to this discovery.

Boats going into Pyramid Lake must be inspected and thoroughly washed after leaving the lake due to its “infested” status.

There is currently no evidence of mussel reproduction.

The species was first discovered in California in 2007 and has successfully been kept out of the State Water Project since then.

Agencies are working to manage the invasive mussels."

well there goes the neighborhood, lol

Well, that sucks, but it was a matter of time I guess.

Exit inspections are more of a pain and take longer than just getting re-tagged. I hope they extend the hours all they way to gate closing instead of just off-the-water time.

But I thought the quagga mussel inspections were supposed to curb this advance?

Seems to me that the agency in charge did not once recognize they were fighting a lost cause YEARS ago. Wonder what the contingency plan is on how to deal with these invasive species in Pyramid [not the stripers, but the quaggas] or whether a contingency plan was even thrown around.

Perhaps now a magnifying glass will be used to assess the over all situation now that the liquid gold is now directly affected.

Bring on snake heads !

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    But I thought the quagga mussel inspections were supposed to curb this advance?
    They would have had a better chance if they went with the more draconian measures, like at Casitas/Cachuma. I predict that other non-infected waters will now go to 7 or 30-day quarantine periods as a result of this failure.

Kwin,

What are DFWs plans seeing that the containment protocols for the quagga mussel wasn't much of a containment plan at all? Should we assume that all of our lakes will eventually have the quagga mussel?

How will the quagga affect fisheries in Southern California? Since the invasion was already foreseen considering the draconian regulations that were enacted years ago in order to launch a boat in most waters, I'd love to hear the contingency plans that were made. Since quaggas are filter feeders, will this reduce the food for forage? Will the reduction of forage mean that there will be predation between species?

Contingency plan would assume they were proactive rather than reactive.

We need extreme vetting!

It's all about the $$$. The Quagga Mussel will clean up the lakes and improve fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast