Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: winter camping near big sur

Default winter camping near big sur

Hi!

Haven't surf fished or rock fished that much, but I was wondering if anyone had tips for surf/rock fishing near the Big Sur area.

I don't have a long surf rod, I'm thinking about just bringing a couple 7-8 foot medium heavy rods and some lighter gear.

I plan on mostly using lures, but I am going to be bringing some salted squid.

I am open to any and all suggestions on gear, bait, techniques, spots (what to look for), and any camping-in-december-along-the-coast tips?

Hello dlock, I am on the same boat with you. My trip is scheduled next Monday and I've never been there. However, if I get a chance to fish that area, I will definitely report back to you.

Tight lines!

The only suggestion I have is to locate a tackle shop as close to your proposed area and ask them what guys are using. Most guys like to help and want you to have an enjoyable experience. All that being said....you can never go wrong with squid. Everything eats it.

Lime Kiln is nice for camping, especially in the off season and has pretty good ocean access. That being said, it is also the kind of place where if you don't book 6 months in advance, sites can be unobtanium, so good luck.
    I have had good success in the whole stretch from San Luis Obispo up to San Simeon with fishing 3" or 4" grubs on either a leadhead jig or Carolina rigged for Barred Perch. All colors, but definitely include white in your arsenal. In general your ocean access is a lot easier from MORRO bay up to Cayucos, and a little more challenging (but not impossible) from Cayucos up to San Simeon. From San Simeon on up to Big Sur spots are limited and can be downright treacherous in spots (lot of cliffs). Squid certainly can work. Sand crabs or ghost shrimp but they can be difficult to source unless you get them yourself. For halibut the stretch of beach just to the north of MORRO Rock is good. There are also piers that you can fish from in Cayucos and San Simeon. I know most of this is south of Big Sur, but these are the spots I know best and hey, if your driving past them...Good luck, look forward to a report.

Thank you! I was actually able to reserve a spot in Lime Kiln (I have noticed for warmer months there are no available spots), but I am willing to drive around the area to check out better fishing spots. I'll probably hit up some spots on the way up and back down.
    Thank you for all the information!

Default Be Careful

Quote Originally Posted by dlock View Post
    Hi!

Haven't surf fished or rock fished that much, but I was wondering if anyone had tips for surf/rock fishing near the Big Sur area.

I don't have a long surf rod, I'm thinking about just bringing a couple 7-8 foot medium heavy rods and some lighter gear.

I plan on mostly using lures, but I am going to be bringing some salted squid.

I am open to any and all suggestions on gear, bait, techniques, spots (what to look for), and any camping-in-december-along-the-coast tips?
    My only suggestion is to be aware of the Marine Life preserve areas. Could be a costly trip if you end up in the wrong place.

Last time I was there, I saw a guy turning over seaweed and threading Sand Fleas on a small hook.