Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Braided Fishing line Question

Default Braided Fishing line Question

I purchased Berkley Fireline Crystal. The label reads.

| 4lb/ 20mm Dia.
    | 4.5kg 274m
    10LB | 1302566 F-10-16-1

I ordered 10 lb test what I'm confused about is 4lb/ 20mm. Is this really 10 lb test.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley51 View Post
    I purchased Berkley Fireline Crystal. The label reads.

| 4lb/ 20mm Dia.
    | 4.5kg 274m
    10LB | 1302566 F-10-16-1

I ordered 10 lb test what I'm confused about is 4lb/ 20mm. Is this really 10 lb test.
    Your good to go!!! It's 10lb. breaking strength. Physically it's equivalent to 4lb. mono and its 20mm in diameter. Use it and love it!!!! I do.

anchor3n1

Thank you for the response anchor3n1.

I was told by Reagan's in Bishop that it isn't to be used with a smaller spinning reel ... like ultra light size 1000

Did they give you a specific reason? I use a .20mm braid on a Shimano AX-ULS ultralight reel and I've never had a problem; I think it's great.

Harley
    I've been using Power Pro braided line on all of my spinning reels for over 8 years. There are two problems I've had through the years which I have no problem dealing with.....
    first one is when jigging with small crappie jigs for trout and you have a jerky retrieve, your line doesn't wind tightly on the spool creating loops which will end up in a birds nest on your next cast, and we all know how hard it is to untangle those nests.
    Second, is that the original Power Pro is a flat line and you'll see it twist more than you think. Use a round braided line like Power Pro Super 8 or equivalent so you won't worry so much even though it will still twist using a spinning reel.
    The pros to using braided line is the line diameter which means more capacity on the spool, no stretch (if you really want to feel everything), and you won't have to replace it every year or more like mono. But with most setups I use either a mono or fluorocarbon leader to absorb the shock and make the presentation less visible. I've used braid on a reel for more than 6 years without changing it out. (Best knot for attaching a mono or fluoro leader is the triple surgeons knot which is fast and easy to tie)
    In the end it's all more about preferences since most rods and reels made today are geared for using all lines.
    Tight Lines !
    TTFM
    BTW, the smallest spinning reel I have loaded with braid is that Bass Pro Mighty Lite reel, equivalent to a 750 ultra light, which I have 5# Power Pro.
    Last edited by Trout-Tuna-For.Me; 12-07-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    Did they give you a specific reason? I use a .20mm braid on a Shimano AX-ULS ultralight reel and I've never had a problem; I think it's great.
    NO ... my bad for not asking for an explanation.

I am using Shimano's smallest size ... FWIW ... the 1000 series