Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious carp fishing

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Well, carp are omnivores, so they're not only bottom feeders.

I've seen em in lakes eating stuff that floats like seeds and berries from trees and bushes, or if you're in city park lakes or Laughlin, stuff like Nacho Cheese Doritos, popcorn, Cheetos, that fake chicharrón that the street vendors sell, and so forth.

In areas where there are insects still left, they will also eat those that are floating, like hoppers, ants, beetles, bees...

But unless they're actively feeding on top, don't waste your time. Instead, fly line some masa on a small mosquito hook on 4 pound test, set your drag correctly, buy a raspado or a paleta, and hang on.

I've typically caught them on bread, corn, tortillas. However, I have run into hyperaggressive packs of carp on several occasions. These tend to be in shallow water, slurping up insects and other meals. Each time, I've tossed a lure nearby, and the entire pack races for. Once, it was a small microcrankbait, at the San Gabriel Reservoir. The leader of the group absolutely nailed the crankbait, then took off running...on 4lb mono, and a ultralite trout pack rod it was a blast.

You can see it here roughly in the middle of the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMPT6_u0RlY

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Once, it was a small microcrankbait, at the San Gabriel Reservoir. The leader of the group absolutely nailed the crankbait, then took off running...
    I've fished Casitas before and had a 10# fish annihilate my jig, and as I fought it to the boat, I seriously thought I had a toad of a largemouth.

Until you see the brown and gold flash.

There's quite a few carp anglers out there. I've seen them a lot at Laguna Niguel lake with the whole 9, even a nice little carp blanket for the photo shoot. I can't respect carp but the guys that are into it but just as much time and effort into it as I do for bass so much respect to them.

Quote Originally Posted by titos334 View Post
    There's quite a few carp anglers out there. I've seen them a lot at Laguna Niguel lake with the whole 9, even a nice little carp blanket for the photo shoot. I can't respect carp but the guys that are into it but just as much time and effort into it as I do for bass so much respect to them.
    Carp are great fighters.

What they do to the eco system in their local impoundments can be debated.

Carp are great fighters.

What they do to the eco system in their local impoundments can be debated.
    I don't find them to be great fighters. Watched guys catch 20lb+ carp on 6lb and land them in a minute. I've hooked a couple and they disappointed me, the one I accidentally snagged on a lipless did alright though til the hook pulled and I got a scale back.

6. Default

I don't find them to be great fighters. Watched guys catch 20lb+ carp on 6lb and land them in a minute. I've hooked a couple and they disappointed me, the one I accidentally snagged on a lipless did alright though til the hook pulled and I got a scale back.
    I would disagree. Pound for pound, they put up a better fight than most freshwater gamefish.

For me, bass hit hard initially, make one or two short hard runs, then the rest of the fight is decided. The hit is the most exciting part.

Carp take off running, and keep running. Much longer fights. Sure, they don't tailwalk, but they really work the drag.
    Closest thing I've felt to a steelhead--long, hard runs.

I've seen plenty of rods lost because the owners were not close enough or quick enough to get to their rod before it goes in. We still make fun of my brother to this day.

I don't find them to be great fighters. Watched guys catch 20lb+ carp on 6lb and land them in a minute.
    I've never seen that before, but mad props to those who can land a 20# carp on 6# in less than a minute.

The last time I hooked a DD carp on light line, it almost spooled me and I had to make the decision to tighten down the drag or get spooled.

If carp attacked lures like a largemouth did, I know they'd be on my list. Normally, it's a bait and wait situation....

I've never seen that before, but mad props to those who can land a 20# carp on 6# in less than a minute.

The last time I hooked a DD carp on light line, it almost spooled me and I had to make the decision to tighten down the drag or get spooled.

If carp attacked lures like a largemouth did, I know they'd be on my list. Normally, it's a bait and wait situation....
    When I was a teenager me and my friends would catch a 100 carp a day on red devil lures.
    You could only do it 3 days a year, and that fishing does not exist
    anymore. I would love to take family there and fish.

The lake was Cayon Lake, it would be filled up every summer
    by a place called the bubble in Nuevo. Millions of carp would
    swim upstream, damns were built to stop the fish. You would
    stand on the damn and cast out, 3 out of 4 cast would land a carp.
    The carp would leap high in the air when hooked, one out of
    every five you could net in the air.

Even though this place was in the middle of a farm field
    in Romoland you did need a fishing license.

I'd fish for carp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast