Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious carp fishing

Default Serious carp fishing

Are there any serious carp fishermen out there? I met a guy yesterday at the park who caught a couple huge carp. He showed me his tackle and all his gear. I was very impressed. Quite a serious sport for these big strong speedsters. Carp fishing is super popular in Europe and the UK. I think I could get into fishing for carp. I've sat there in the past and used doughballs on light rods for carp, but this is way beyond that. Carp fishermen are as serious about their fishing as bass fishermen are about theirs!

Here's a pic of a big carp caught at Fairmount Park. This is not the guy I met, but a photo from Fairmount Park's Facebook site. His name was not listed..

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Are there any serious carp fishermen out there? I met a guy yesterday at the park who caught a couple huge carp. He showed me his tackle and all his gear. I was very impressed. Quite a serious sport for these big strong speedsters. Carp fishing is super popular in Europe and the UK. I think I could get into fishing for carp. I've sat there in the past and used doughballs on light rods for carp, but this is way beyond that. Carp fishermen are as serious about their fishing as bass fishermen are about theirs!

Here's a pic of a big carp caught at Fairmount Park. This is not the guy I met, but a photo from Fairmount Park's Facebook site. His name was not listed..

We had a couple on here about a year ago. Here is something that might surprise you, it's a very tight lip group of people. So talking on a public forum is not what very many of them do. It is a pretty neat sport because I know some people who do it. Me personally I'm an amateur, but a single piece of corn on a small hook with trout gear can be pretty thrilling when you hook up!!!! lol

They could be a tight lipped group of fishermen, but not the guy that I met and talked to for 30 minutes. He was excited to tell me about all the gear he uses and showed me several photos of the big carp he'd caught. There's also a lot of how-to videos about carp fishing on You Tube that he told me about. Interesting stuff.

My biggest carp was 25 lbs,serious fish but I'm certainly not a serious carp fisherman,caught him on an ika bass jig,was still an awesome rush and fantastic battle,25lbs on 8lb test line. Oh by the way it was at Legg Lake Whittier narrows north lake.

Cya Tuna Vic

5. Default

Carp fishing is awesome. It's most fun (for me) with a two-pole stamp. One line is out in the water with a bite indicator on it for carp. The other one I'm throwing for bass or sunfish.

Of course, I've missed a few carp that way, they bite when you least expect it. There is a nice group of SoCal carp gurus out there that hold monthly tournaments.

4 pound test, a trout rod, a reel with a good drag and some fly line some home made dough balls and you'll be tugging on them all day.

Never saw the need for 'specialized' tackle tho, or the boilie rigs...maybe the carp in Europe are smarter than ours?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    4 pound test, a trout rod, a reel with a good drag and some fly line some home made dough balls and you'll be tugging on them all day.

Never saw the need for 'specialized' tackle tho, or the boilie rigs...maybe the carp in Europe are smarter than ours?
    I like what you said about not needing a "FANCY" rig to catch Carp. I have a friend of mine who is a professional Carp fishermen. He does it all, with boilies, special dough he makes, hair rigs the whole nine yards. I show up with a trout setup and a tiny hook and a single piece of corn for bait. I can't say I out fish him, but there were many day's where my rig was the only one that caught a Carp that day!!! These things will also bite at night, so when the sun goes down keep fishing!!! (provided that not against the rules) lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-06-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Where in the water column do most carp feed? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_562 View Post
    Where in the water column do most carp feed? Thanks in advance.
    That's an easy one. Their bottom feeders. Sometimes in shallow water you see Carp mud. It's dirt floating on top of the water. Caused by a group of Carp feeding by sucking in the bottom and spiting out the dirt!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-06-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    That's an easy one. Their bottom feeders. Sometimes in shallow water you see Carp mud. It's dirt floating on top of the water. Caused by a group of Carp feeding by sucking in the bottom and spiting out the dirt!!!!
    Well, carp are omnivores, so they're not only bottom feeders.

I've seen em in lakes eating stuff that floats like seeds and berries from trees and bushes, or if you're in city park lakes or Laughlin, stuff like Nacho Cheese Doritos, popcorn, Cheetos, that fake chicharrón that the street vendors sell, and so forth.

In areas where there are insects still left, they will also eat those that are floating, like hoppers, ants, beetles, bees...

But unless they're actively feeding on top, don't waste your time. Instead, fly line some masa on a small mosquito hook on 4 pound test, set your drag correctly, buy a raspado or a paleta, and hang on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast