Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Reel of 2016.

Default Fly Reel of 2016.

Read an article published on outdoorempire.com. Long review... What Is The Best Fly Reel In 2016
    1. Best for saltwater fishing Hardy Fortuna X1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_hardy_fortuna_x1-1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	49327
    2. Best with a low cost Piscifun Sword Series

Name:	rsz_piscifun_sword-1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	49328
    3. Best for trout fishing Orvis Mirage III

Name:	rsz_orvis_mirage_iii_fly_reel-1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	49329
    4. Best for bass fishing Redington Rise 7/8

Name:	rsz_reddington_rise-1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	49330
    5. Lamson Guru 3.5

Name:	Lamson-Guru-3.5-Fly-Reel.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	49331
    Last edited by Olllie; 12-19-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Definitely a solid list, with the usual suspects taking the prize.

My Lamson Lightspeeds have been treating me great so far for my 3 and 4 weights, and my Hatch Finatic 4+ has been a solid choice for my 5 weights.

I have a lamson guru, and get it wet on the water for a few times. Performed well.
    Bought a Piscifun sword reel at a promo price. Gunmetal color, is so sick! Smooth, well made. Been using Sword for 2 months, no issue.
    Well, I used to think that many chinese cheap reels break easily; cannot hold up. But the sword fly reel made by this company is different.
    Its a sweet reel for the money. I would put it to test next year. Hope it lasts

I can't believe you didn't list the best fly reel in the world, yes I said in the world. You'll pay for it, but I'll put a Hatch fly reel up against them all.

I didn't make the list Read it somewhere. Opinions might vary from one to another. Well, Hatch makes excellent fly reels. I want to buy one too. But I am budget conscious.

Years and years ago I started out fly fishing with the standard 5/6 weight systems and have been upgrading my gear. Just about all year I've only used my 3 wt. rig which is a 3piece 7.5 ft. Fly Logic rod with an Okuma Vashon reel. Having recently won a pontoon boat in a raffle I've probably fished 50-60 days in Shasta and Lassen Counties using the 3 wt system C&Ring sometimes over 50 trout a day, biggest was a 4.25 lb rainbow. (Recently bought a house near Mount Lassen for retirement) The Okuma reel has yet to fail me and I'd fully recommend it as a low cost quality reel. Not sure if Okuma makes it anymore, but I have seen a couple being sold in ebay. I'm currently looking to go lighter next year, maybe a 0 st system.....any recommendations?
    Tight Lines !

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Tuna-For.Me View Post
    ....maybe a 0 st system.....any recommendations?
    Is the 0 wt going to be used in the same application as your 3 wt?

If so, I think the 0 wt would be a little undersized for still waters, and would excel in a small stream environment.

What would your budget be?

DS, Yes, the 0 wt rig would seem undersized for still waters, but I do like a challenge. That 4.25 lb rainbow on my 3 wt was a challenge, but what a turn on it was !
    I'm looking to maybe spend up to $300 for the rod and reel together, then if I can master getting bigger trout with the lighter rig I'll go for a quality setup.
    Thanks for responding.
    TTFM

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Tuna-For.Me View Post
    DS, Yes, the 0 wt rig would seem undersized for still waters, but I do like a challenge. That 4.25 lb rainbow on my 3 wt was a challenge, but what a turn on it was !
    I'm looking to maybe spend up to $300 for the rod and reel together, then if I can master getting bigger trout with the lighter rig I'll go for a quality setup.
    Thanks for responding.
    TTFM
    TTFM,

My suggestion for the reel at least is to peruse this section http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing~d~14/ and usually you'll find a smoking deal. A 0 weight fly reel is pretty much a line holder at this point, although if you're going to be using it for larger fish for the sport of it, you'd want to have something with a decent drag.

There was a Sage Click that was as low as $89 on that site which was a great deal for a nice little reel.

As far as the rod? As I mentioned before, a 0 weight rod usually doesn't come in anything larger than a 7'6, and casting a 7'6" 0 weight in a lake when there may be any slight wind will not be fun. Also, not too many low end manufacturers make 0 weight rods so getting one is going to mean shelling out some money. I know TFO makes the Lefty Kreh Finesse in a .5 wt, but again, the rod is 5". Sage made an old model, the RDP that can be found on Ebay if the timing is right. The new TXL model also offers a 00 at lengths up to 7"10, and that might be your best bet.

Of course, Orvis's SuperFine in the 1 wt would be nice, but again, 7'6" and $400.

DS
    Thanks for the info. I'll be checking around for deals since we all have some time before the trout season starts, or at least when I make it back up north in March.
    BTW, I mostly lake fish from a pontoon boat so a shorter rod isn't much of a problem unless I want distance casts.
    I did see a nice Orvis rig for sale in ebay, I'll see what happens there and check Sierra Trading Post.
    Thanks again
    TTFM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast