Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drone Fishing trip dec 3

Default Drone Fishing trip dec 3

So the wife gave me the go ahead to have a fishing day. Yes that's right an entire day of well fishing. I'm looking to meet up with someone that has a really good spot picked out, and doesn't mind sharing some knowledge. I'll bring what I have and my drone with the bait dropper system on it http://dronefishing.com/product/phantom-4-bait-dropper/. So let's go slay some fish. Here are some Fishing videos https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...U4xOHlqT0dRWnc looking to learn land fishing spent a lot of time boat fishing.

2. Default

Seen some videos of folks doing the drone fishing thing at the beaches here. The potential is exciting, but losing a $500+ drone in the water is not...good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Seen some videos of folks doing the drone fishing thing at the beaches here. The potential is exciting, but losing a $500+ drone in the water is not...good luck!
    That, or meeting someone who isn't too keen on something buzzing above them, when they are trying to enjoy some serenity in the outdoors like this guy here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQi4yr8Ihc

You had better get ready to pay for a fat ticket, it's illegal in California as well as many other states.
    Get yourself a longer rod, you don't have to cheat to catch fish here.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    You had better get ready to pay for a fat ticket, it's illegal in California as well as many other states.
    I researched and couldn't find anything pertaining to utilizing a drone to assist in fishing. I just found regs that makes it illegal to use drones will hunting.

The only statutes I found where:

It is a violation to fly any aircraft, including any airplane or helicopter, less than 1,000 feet above water or land over the Aņo Nuevo State Reserve, the Farallon Islands Game Refuge, the Point Lobos State Reserve, the California Sea Otter Game Refuge, and Anacapa, San Miguel, Santa Barbara and San Nicolas Islands, except for rescue operations, in case of any emergency, or for scientific or filmmaking purposes under a permit issued by the department after a review of potential biological impacts (Fish and Game Code, section 10501.5).

Federal regulators of the FAA and NOAA also restrict the use of drones. Flying motorized aircraft (except valid law enforcement) is prohibited less than 1000 ft. above any of the four zones of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary which are listed in Appendix B (Code of Federal Regulations Title 15, section 922.132(a)(6)). Individuals should consult the MPA- specific regulations in section 632 of Title 14 for special restrictions for individual MPAs. There may be additional regulations prohibiting disturbance of nesting and rafting birds offshore that are covered under federal law.
    Is there a 'gear restriction' issue in play here?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I researched and couldn't find anything pertaining to utilizing a drone to assist in fishing. I just found regs that makes it illegal to use drones will hunting.

The only statutes I found where:

Is there a 'gear restriction' issue in play here?
    I normally never say anything on here unless I'm only sure I'm right. lol I could swear I read that question in WON to the lady that answer's the DFG questions. "DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT" Look it up but I thought she said it was ok to do it.

Anybody please post a link to show it's illegal. I've gone on here before with people who got their facts wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I normally never say anything on here unless I'm only sure I'm right. lol I could swear I read that question in WON to the lady that answer's the DFG questions. "DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT" Look it up but I thought she said it was ok to do it.

Anybody please post a link to show it's illegal. I've gone on here before with people who got their facts wrong.
    "(C) Shore Based Angling: When angling from shore (includes beaches, banks, piers, jetties,
    breakwaters, docks, and other man-made structures connected to the shore), all species may be
    taken or possessed year-round (See 27.50(b)(1) for exceptions in the Cowcod Conservation Areas). No
    vessel or watercraft (motorized or non-motorized) may be used to assist in taking or possessing these
    species while angling from shore under this provision."

It's pretty plain, you have to read the small print.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...umentID=116558
    Last edited by Theos; 12-06-2016 at 10:19 AM.

"(C) Shore Based Angling: When angling from shore (includes beaches, banks, piers, jetties,
    breakwaters, docks, and other man-made structures connected to the shore), all species may be
    taken or possessed year-round (See 27.50(b)(1) for exceptions in the Cowcod Conservation Areas). No
    vessel or watercraft (motorized or non-motorized) may be used to assist in taking or possessing these
    species
    while angling from shore under this provision."

It's pretty plain, you have to read the small print.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...umentID=116558
    A few thoughts.

1. I don't believe a drone qualifies under the legal definition of a vessel or watercraft.

2. But beyond that, you may have overlooked the "these species" portion of the regulation. It says the regs you posted are only for, well, 'those species:'

(A) Nearshore rockfish, as defined in subsection 1.91(a)(1)
    (B) Cabezon
    (C) Greenlings of the genus Hexagrammos
    (D) California sheephead
    (E) Ocean whitefish
    (F) Lingcod
    (G) Shelf rockfish, as defined in subsection 1.91(a)(3), except bronzespotted rockfish, canary rockfish, cowcod, and yelloweye rockfish which may not be taken or possessed within the Cowcod Conservation Area.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    A few thoughts.

1. I don't believe a drone qualifies under the legal definition of a vessel or watercraft.

2. But beyond that, you may have overlooked the "these species" portion of the regulation. It says the regs you posted are only for, well, 'those species:'
    No actually you overlooked the groundfish section;
    Groundfish are fish that live on, in, or near the bottom of the body of water they inhabit. Some typical saltwater groundfish species are cod, flounder, halibut, and sole.
    All fish that inhabit a certain depth are considered groundfish and are managed as such.
    So if you must take a risk have at it, better still do it in front of a game warden and get back to me with your results.
    Last edited by Theos; 12-06-2016 at 04:50 PM.

...better still do it in front of a game warden and get back to me with your results.
    That is a good idea, but because I don't have a drone, or a day off to go fishing today and have a warden stand next to me, the best I could do is place a telephone call to our local warden, Warden Scott Cohen from the DFW, and long convo short, drones are completely legal in the salt.

A few notes:

Drones are not considered vessels nor watercraft. Any language in the DFG regulations that mention 'vessels' or 'watercraft' do not apply to drones.

There are *some* locations where federal law supersedes DFW regulations. For example, you can fish the Channel Islands, but you cannot fly a drone near or above the Channel Islands, because of the federal regulations regarding drones being banned in all national parks, national monuments and national recreation areas. Not because they are banned for fishing.

You can also NOT use a drone to drop bait in excluded areas, like MPAs. So, your vessel cannot be outside the MPA, and cannot have a drone drop bait inside the restricted area. Again, this is not because drones are banned for fishing. This is because fishing itself is banned in the MPAs.

Species restrictions also doesn't mean drone restrictions, and Warden Cohen said that 27.50 is a "species" centered law, an inclusive restriction on our annual rockfish closure. (Also, a halibut is not a ground fish by the definition of section 1.91 of the regulations. )

For example, you cannot use a drone to assist in the catching of a great white shark. Not because of the drone, but because of the actual targeting of the great white shark which is illegal by federal regulations.

So there you have it.

I was going to record the convo and just post that to make it easier, but everyone knows that it is illegal to do so in California without Warden Cohen's permission.

I'll be following this up with a formal email confirmation from the DFW that I'm hoping to get soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast