Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Kern River: Report and Video

1. Default Kern River: Report and Video

Made the long drive up to the Kern River this past weekend. I've fished the Eastern Sierras several times but never went to the Kern River area. Saw a few slow reports from earlier in the week and wasn't expecting much, but excited to make the trip regardless.

Really beautiful fall colors throughout the South Fork of the Kern River on the drive in. The smoke from prior wildfires, including a recent one, seems to have mostly cleared out. We passed many fly anglers and a few conventional anglers along the drive up the north fork, including an army of them below the spillway.

Hiked in a ways up the river, talking with many fly fishermen on the way. They all reported the same thing-no fish, cold water. This did not get my hopes up. However, after fishing many skinny creeks, it was astounding to see the size of the Kern, even with it's low levels. There was a lot of water to explore, more than plenty for the short trip we had.

We tossed flys and barbless lures, to no avail. Worked a few deep pools, slow stretches, and a couple of rapids. Talked with a nice fly angler who recounted catching 25 fish+/day in the summer further up the canyon, but was fishless today.

Still, it was great to get to see this watershed and get a tiny taste of the hiking and fishing opportunities back here. I hope you enjoy the video from our trip:

That stretch can be fun during the summer, just watch out for the rattlers and the occasional mountain lion.

It definitely beats the bikini and foam cooler hatch that occurs down in the 20 mile stretch.

I was out there 2 weeks ago, and had a blast even though the smoke from the fires were not fun to hike with.

Great report and beautiful footage.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    That stretch can be fun during the summer, just watch out for the rattlers and the occasional mountain lion.

It definitely beats the bikini and foam cooler hatch that occurs down in the 20 mile stretch.

I was out there 2 weeks ago, and had a blast even though the smoke from the fires were not fun to hike with.

That particular hatch struggles in the cold heh.

After looking at a map of the area above the bridge, I am excited about the blue lining possiblities. tons of little small creeks to explore on a weekend camping trip come spring.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    That particular hatch struggles in the cold heh.

After looking at a map of the area above the bridge, I am excited about the blue lining possiblities. tons of little small creeks to explore on a weekend camping trip come spring.
    cool vid. white or black rooster tails 1/8 is all we used in the 70's. watch the slipery rocks. You know that! Good Luck

Excellent video, love the Kern River.

TD

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Twister View Post
    cool vid. white or black rooster tails 1/8 is all we used in the 70's. watch the slipery rocks. You know that! Good Luck
    Thanks! I did try some small, heavier spoons, barbless, to get down under the current, but without luck. Next time!