Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: half day party boat tips?

Default half day party boat tips?

Hi,

I haven't been on a party boat since I was a young kid. I'm going to go this weekend, for a half day trip during the day. Most likely out of Dana Point or Long Beach area.
    Any tips on the type of tackle I should bring, techniques, behavior/etiquette on the boat?

It seems that they are mainly catching rock fish on these half day trips. I honestly do not mind what I catch (if I catch anything), as long as my friends and I have a good time out in the ocean.

Probably bottom fish for a half day. 6-8 oz lead on a double dropper loop. I usually use my 30# setup. The fish are not line shy. Drop down till it hits bottom. You'll be using cut bait (squid) so give it a jig every couple seconds and you should get bit. If they have anchovies/sardines, don't be afraid to pin one on. Majority of my sheepshead that I've caught has come from chovies or dines or even mackrels. Keep your line in front of you. No angles no tangles. You'll make more friends that way. Deck hands are pretty good on these boats. Just ask for help if you need it. Good luck!

Forgot to mention, look up Pierpoint landing in Long Beach on Groupon. $27 and plenty of cheap parking. The southern caI is a great 1/2 day boat. think it's $2 or $3 to park in their lot. Beats the parking at Davies/Newport Landing.

If you have any knife jigs I'd try throwing that depending on the boat load. I've had some good success on my recent trips with jigs.

Thank you for all the tips!
    If they are mainly going after bass, what type of lures or jigs should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by dlock View Post
    Thank you for all the tips!
    If they are mainly going after bass, what type of lures or jigs should I use?

Live bait if they have it or a Big Hammer jig for bass.

as far as rockfish go, we've found we get the bigger models on anchovies (if they have them)

Thank you all for the advice, we didn't end up catching anything worth keeping.
    The weather wasn't so great, but I definitely want to go back out again.