Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whale Encounter While Float Tubing SoCal Harbor

Default Whale Encounter While Float Tubing SoCal Harbor

AO: SoCal Harbor
    Sunday 11-13-2016
    Session: I launched at 0550 hrs and fished until 12:00 PM.
    Sun Rise: 0623 hrs, Start of Grey Light: 0550 hrs.
    Tackle Used: 3" BH Spotty Special on a 3/16oz chartreuse Hammerhead w/ 2/0 hook, and the Drop-Shot rig w/ a Gamakatsu size 2/0 Offset Shank Worm EWG hook and a 5" Zoom Salty Super Fluke White Ice with a 1/2 oz weight,
    and some tube bait. I also use Hot Sauce scent.
    Tidal Conditions: incoming tide 0600 5.5', 0730 HT 6.4', outgoing tide 0830 6.2', 0930 5.1', 1030 3.6', 1130 1.9', 1230 0.4'.
    Water Temp: 65 deg.
    Air Temps: 60 - 81 deg. Clear sky's.
    iSolunar Prediction: were predicted, the Major Period: 0924 to 1224 hrs.

I launched my float tube at 0550 hrs and by 0605 I had 3 bodies on board and CPR'd.
    At about 0620 I heard an air blow from what I thought was a seal but ended up being two dolphins that were cruising next to the jetty about 150 feet away from me .... so I continue to fish along the jetty and at about 0640; and just before I get to the end of the jetty, I hear another air blow back behind me along the jetty where I had already been fishing; I suspected it to be the dolphins again from earlier, so I watched for them to come up and breach for air and this time it wasn't a dolphin .... it was much longer and massive!! It was a 25' to 30' whale <">< (what type, I don't know, I can't even ID my Rockfish ... Ha ha ha).... I was in approx 15' of water and I could see that it was heading straight towards me.
    I was approx 50-ft away from the jetty and I could see the 8' dia water disturbances ringlets every 20' or so; caused by the whale's tail movement,
    and coming right at me!!! Holy Crap ... I thought to myself!! The last disturbance ringlet stopped approx 20' from me and I was in it's collision course by the ringlet markers in the water ... like an idiot ... I raised my fins out of the water (like that really would help and the way I figure it for 15' of water, the whale was maybe 2' to 3' beneath my fins) and I could see and almost touch it's massive body slide directly beneath me without any water disturbance, and then I saw another 8' dia water disturbance ringlet 20' just to the other side of me! Phewwwwww!!! Once it reached the main channel (approx 150' from me) it came up and breached for air one more time in the main channel and that was it. What a whale of an encounter!!
    The moral of the story .... never get between a whale and it's channel!!
    The end.

SP Dan's Fish Count: (24-fish, 7-species and no legals, 8-species if you count the Lobster) and 2 New Species o0n the float tube.

(1) 12" Sculpin

(2) Copper Rockfish If this ID is incorrect ... please share the knowledge. New Species

(1) Olive Rockfish

(5) Calico Bass

(12) Sand Bass

(3) Greenback Mackerel

(1) of these ... I'm not certain on what type of Rockfish this is .... help please I think it's a Widow Rockfish. New Species

(1) Lobster ... New Species

Well .... that's all folk's .... thanx for tuning-in!

Thanx for checking out my session report.

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 11-14-2016 at 06:28 PM. Reason: SP

Dan - I had to comment on your excellent report, since I was in heavy whale traffic (15-20 ft away but never under me) when fishing on my surfboard - these close encounters put your presence in the ocean in perspective. I'm certain they recognize floating objects around them and on most days would prefer to avoid them. But it cannot stop you from thinking of what it will be like when one surfaces under you..
    Nice assortment of species (including mammals) on you outing. Last time I got out into kelp I got three bass species (WSB, calico and sand) but all short so, no report. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the report. Your reports are always detailed.

Is the location a secret?

You sure you didn't mistaken that whale for a shark? lol. That's very strange to have a whale in the harbor, dolphins not so surprising but whale? But, after my trip last week I'm not surprised by anything anymore. A friend of mine hooked a Marlin on his kayak last week that had us chasing after it for a good 2 hours.

Epic sesh btw. The Sculpin is legal size lol, not legal to take at the moment though. That copper rockfish should be a brown rockfish unless that's another nickname that I've yet to learn. You're mystery rockfish is a kelp rockfish, possibly.

Wow,quite the experience,thanks for sharing!

Cya Tuna Vic

Great report! If it had been me I'm not ashamed to say I would be purchasing some new waders to replace the ones I soiled!

My friend Dan:

Yes ---- that is one whale of a story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it was me I know I would have been blubbering out of fear. I'm sure your whale encounter in the harbor was a fluke (maybe not?). I appreciate your prose and spout off about your fishing' trip

Keep up the good work,

Nick

Great trip Danimal. I've seen whales a couple times inside the port. One time at work we saw a mother and a calf off Pier J about 50' off the rocks at Pier J (not the outside breakwall).
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by efishent View Post
    Dan - I had to comment on your excellent report, since I was in heavy whale traffic (15-20 ft away but never under me) when fishing on my surfboard - these close encounters put your presence in the ocean in perspective. I'm certain they recognize floating objects around them and on most days would prefer to avoid them. But it cannot stop you from thinking of what it will be like when one surfaces under you..
    Nice assortment of species (including mammals) on you outing. Last time I got out into kelp I got three bass species (WSB, calico and sand) but all short so, no report. Thanks for posting.
    Hi ya efishent,

Thanx for taking the time to check out my fishing report and for also share your own whale encountering experience(s).
    You are correct ... my encounter definitely put my thoughts into a changed perspective while floating in the salt.
    Good to hear that you had a productive session in the kelp beds.

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by hotramen View Post
    Thanks for the report. Your reports are always detailed.

Is the location a secret?
    Hi ya hotramen,

Thank you for your compliments on my fish reports. I do try to share as much information as possible without giving up my AO's ...
    which I'm sure that you can understand. I put in hundreds of hours each year searching for productive; under pressured by other anglers, fishing locations.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my fishing report,

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    You sure you didn't mistaken that whale for a shark? lol. That's very strange to have a whale in the harbor, dolphins not so surprising but whale? But, after my trip last week I'm not surprised by anything anymore. A friend of mine hooked a Marlin on his kayak last week that had us chasing after it for a good 2 hours.

Epic sesh btw. The Sculpin is legal size lol, not legal to take at the moment though. That copper rockfish should be a brown rockfish unless that's another nickname that I've yet to learn. You're mystery rockfish is a kelp rockfish, possibly.
    Hi ya Ifishtoolittle,

No .... this was definitely a whale. Whales inside the inner harbors is not as uncommon as as you'd think.
    Juvenal Rockfish can be difficult to ID ... but I try.

Thanx for responding to my fish report,

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Wow,quite the experience,thanks for sharing!

Cya Tuna Vic
    Hi ya TUNAVIC,

As always ... I appreciate your positive responses to my fishing reports Sir!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by Brewcrafter View Post
    Great report! If it had been me I'm not ashamed to say I would be purchasing some new waders to replace the ones I soiled!
    Hi ya Brewcrafte,

Well ... I'm happy to report that I won't need to buy a new set of waders due to this wale encounter. Ha ha ha!!!

Thank you for your positive response to my fish report, it's very much appreciated Sir!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by anchor3n1 View Post
    My friend Dan:

Yes ---- that is one whale of a story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it was me I know I would have been blubbering out of fear. I'm sure your whale encounter in the harbor was a fluke (maybe not?). I appreciate your prose and spout off about your fishing' trip

Keep up the good work,

Nick
    Hi ya Brotha from another-SWAT mother! lol

It's always so good to hear from you my friend ... no matter the span of time that passes!!

As we all know .... a good session does earn one his (or hers) sharing rights ... especially if there is a tale to tell!

FYI ... I have an extra tube w/ fins, life jacket and rods; already set up, if you ever get the inclination! I hope you do get that feeling!

Take care Brotha Nick and hugs to lil' sis's Noelle and Alexa please,

PS .... Happy Holidays to you and all your loved ones!

SP Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Great trip Danimal. I've seen whales a couple times inside the port. One time at work we saw a mother and a calf off Pier J about 50' off the rocks at Pier J (not the outside breakwall).
    DR
    How ya doing Martin?? It's been such a long time Sir!
    You don't have to convince me ... I'm already a firm believer that larger mammals dwell inside the harbor waters than seals and dolphin.

Take care Sir and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

SP Dan <"))><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast