Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Electoral College be abandoned?

Default Should the Electoral College be abandoned?

The first question should be asked why do we have it in the first place? Why is the President chosen in this fashion when all other offices are chosen by direct voting. A little history lesson is coming your way, so pull up a chair boy's & girls and learn something!

The Electoral college was the brainchild of two founding fathers, James Madison and Alexander Hamilton. They felt the position of President was so great that the common man didn't have enough experience and knowledge to pick the President. So instead people were suppose to vote for electors who were supposedly more capable in choosing a President. (that was the original idea and since has been modified some what)

So far counting this last election with Trump, there have been 5 Presidents who did not win the popular vote but won the Presidency thru the Electoral college process. Some might argue that by luck or divine intervention we got the better man for the job by doing it that way!!!

Let's take a look at all 5 examples and see if we got lucky in that way. (Let's do them in reverse order.)

5. Donald Trump vs Hillary Clinton

If Mrs. Clinton became President it's pretty safe to say we would have had 4 more Obama type years. We won't know for 4 more years what Trump actually does but I'll bet we would have been better off with Hillary. (time will tell us that answer)

4. George W. Bush vs Al Gore

We all know how those 8 years turned out, so it's pretty safe to say Gore couldn't have done any worse of a job as President but probably would have done much better.

3. Harrison vs Grover Cleveland

Do you people remember learning in the 5th grade that Grover Cleveland was the only President to have 2 terms in office that weren't consecutive. The reason why was the Electoral college!!!! After winning his first term as President Grover Cleveland in his bid for re election won the popular vote but didn't win the Electoral college. (thus making his opponent Harrison President) Harrison did such a poor job as President he couldn't win re election either. Grover Cleveland ran again and won both the popular vote and the Electoral college for his 2nd term as President.

2. Hay's vs Tiledon (1876)

This was like a Banana Republic election. In the South in several states there were 2 groups claiming they were the government who held the election. (with 2 different results) So the party's went for a compromise. They asked the Republicans, "what does your party want most"? Answer the Presidency!!! They asked the Democrats what do they want most? The end of Reconstruction!!! Hay's became President and Tiledon as a team player went home happy that he helped his party with the compromise that ended reconstruction. I don't know if Tiledon would have made a better President then Hay's. But can anyone tell me without looking it up, what the heck did Hay's accomplish in his Presidency???

1. John Quincy Adams vs Andrew Jackson

In that Presidential election there was 3 candidates for President. (Jackson, Adams and Henry Clay) Jackson got the most popular votes but didn't have enough electoral votes to become President. Secretly Adams and Clay made a deal, Clay would tell his electors to vote for Adams for President and Clay would become Secretary of State. That's what happened and Jackson cried FOUL calling it that dirty deal!!! 4 years later Jackson defeated Adams in the popular vote and in the Electoral College. The next 8 years were so eventful they coined a phrase for Andrew Jackson Presidency. (Jacksonian Democracy)

So history proved we never got some "GREAT" President who lost the popular vote but won the Presidency thru the Electoral College.

What about today???? If you think about it, the Electoral college gives too much power to the Red States. More importantly to the Rural people in our country, "WHICH IS JUST THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT HAMILTON AND MADISON WANTED!!!!!" They wanted the best and the brightest, the wisest, and the most educated people to decide who was to become our President and instead they got the worst!!!!!

So in my opinion based on historical facts and the founding fathers original intentions are no longer working in the way they wanted them too. We should go to the popular vote method to decide who should be our next President.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-13-2016 at 12:02 AM.

No...But Honesty should prevail. I'm just glad I was alive to see this. A purge is needed...

Should the presidency be selected by 5-10 major cities?

wahhhhh wahh wah wah wah

now that red has da power, you guys and googs gonna b stuck for this sheet at least 10 to 30 years coming

you'll have something to complain about so you should be happy (or we'll all be dead and you'll get to be right, that's all you want, to be right... (am i right?)

live long and prosper....

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 11-13-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Should the presidency be selected by 5-10 major cities?
    Why not if all the population lives there. Remember all the states get 2 Senators regardless of population. Think of all the Western States that have a population less then 1 million people. California has 37 million people yet we get the same amount of Senators that Montana has with a population of 600,000 people. (so their voices are heard)

Why is it with Conservatives they seem everything should be fair only IF it's to their advantage. Yet when policy's are suggested that are for the betterment of "EVERYONE" by Democrats they want no part of that!!!"

With Conservatives they believe in "Heads I win Tails you lose!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-13-2016 at 09:36 PM.

NO, NO and.... NO... If 60 million people lived in LA, Chicago, NY, SF should they decide the fate of all the people living in all the other states? Also with the voting laws where any person can go into a voting booth in a dozen states and vote without any ID means there are rampant voter fraud despite what you hear on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    The first question should be asked why do we have it in the first place? Why is the President chosen in this fashion when all other offices are chosen by direct voting. A little history lesson is coming your way, so pull up a chair boy's & girls and learn something!

The Electoral college was the brainchild of two founding fathers, James Madison and Alexander Hamilton. They felt the position of President was so great that the common man didn't have enough experience and knowledge to pick the President. So instead people were suppose to vote for electors who were supposedly more capable in choosing a President. (that was the original idea and since has been modified some what)

So far counting this last election with Trump, there have been 5 Presidents who did not win the popular vote but won the Presidency thru the Electoral college process. Some might argue that by luck or divine intervention we got the better man for the job by doing it that way!!!

Let's take a look at all 5 examples and see if we got lucky in that way. (Let's do them in reverse order.)

5. Donald Trump vs Hillary Clinton

If Mrs. Clinton became President it's pretty safe to say we would have had 4 more Obama type years. We won't know for 4 more years what Trump actually does but I'll bet we would have been better off with Hillary. (time will tell us that answer)

4. George W. Bush vs Al Gore

We all know how those 8 years turned out, so it's pretty safe to say Gore couldn't have done any worse of a job as President but probably would have done much better.

3. Harrison vs Grover Cleveland

Do you people remember learning in the 5th grade that Grover Cleveland was the only President to have 2 terms in office that weren't consecutive. The reason why was the Electoral college!!!! After winning his first term as President Grover Cleveland in his bid for re election won the popular vote but didn't win the Electoral college. (thus making his opponent Harrison President) Harrison did such a poor job as President he couldn't win re election either. Grover Cleveland ran again and won both the popular vote and the Electoral college for his 2nd term as President.

2. Hay's vs Tiledon (1876)

This was like a Banana Republic election. In the South in several states there were 2 groups claiming they were the government who held the election. (with 2 different results) So the party's went for a compromise. They asked the Republicans, "what does your party want most"? Answer the Presidency!!! They asked the Democrats what do they want most? The end of Reconstruction!!! Hay's became President and Tiledon as a team player went home happy that he helped his party with the compromise that ended reconstruction. I don't know if Tiledon would have made a better President then Hay's. But can anyone tell me without looking it up, what the heck did Hay's accomplish in his Presidency???

1. John Quincy Adams vs Andrew Jackson

In that Presidential election there was 3 candidates for President. (Jackson, Adams and Henry Clay) Jackson got the most popular votes but didn't have enough electoral votes to become President. Secretly Adams and Clay made a deal, Clay would tell his electors to vote for Adams for President and Clay would become Secretary of State. That's what happened and Jackson cried FOUL calling it that dirty deal!!! 4 years later Jackson defeated Adams in the popular vote and in the Electoral College. The next 8 years were so eventful they coined a phrase for Andrew Jackson Presidency. (Jacksonian Democracy)

So history proved we never got some "GREAT" President who lost the popular vote but won the Presidency thru the Electoral College.

What about today???? If you think about it, the Electoral college gives too much power to the Red States. More importantly to the Rural people in our country, "WHICH IS JUST THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT HAMILTON AND MADISON WANTED!!!!!" They wanted the best and the brightest, the wisest, and the most educated people to decide who was to become our President and instead they got the worst!!!!!

So in my opinion based on historical facts and the founding fathers original intentions are no longer working in the way they wanted them too. We should go to the popular vote method to decide who should be our next President.

The US Senate probably has the least influence between the 4 branches of government that is why all states have 2. US senate doesn't make laws and cannot use executive order like the White house. To advocate for popular vote is to advocate for mob rule.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
    The US Senate probably has the least influence between the 4 branches of government that is why all states have 2. US senate doesn't make laws and cannot use executive order like the White house. To advocate for popular vote is to advocate for mob rule.
    Folks with all the hub bub of Trump being elected President. Probably one of the most far reaching laws in my life time was passed here in California. Yet it's flying under the Radar. So after reading some responses here that don't even warrant responding too. My only conclusion is "SOME PEOPLE HERE HAVE ALREADY PER-TAKEN TO THE FACT THAT POT IS NOW LEGAL!!!" So pass that joint because obviously you people are smoking the good stuff!!!!!!!! lol lol lol

From the all inclusive and accepting left, which you are Tuck, it's awful exclusive of you to eliminate all fly over country and all rural and the burbs of America. The founding fathers as I understand it did not want Philly and NYC owning the country.

Keep toking buddy. It's all the dems have left.....end the electoral college. You know this though. You are simply wanting a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    From the all inclusive and accepting left, which you are Tuck, it's awful exclusive of you to eliminate all fly over country and all rural and the burbs of America. The founding fathers as I understand it did not want Philly and NYC owning the country.

Keep toking buddy. It's all the dems have left.....end the electoral college. You know this though. You are simply wanting a discussion.
    Did you read the Historical reason in my thread, why the founding fathers wanted the Electoral College in the first place??? Madison and Hamilton didn't feel the common man had enough knowledge to pick the President!!!! Electors who were screened to be educated and knowledgeable were the ONLY ones allowed to pick a President!!!!! So YES the founding fathers "DIDN'T WANT RURAL FOLKS TO PICK THE PRESIDENT!!!!"

I say the same thing I tell Conservatives on Facebook. Don't take my word for it, Google it!!!!!!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast