Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How`s the Bite

The striper continue to beat me at the game of fishing. We trolled for about 3 hours with trout swimbaits, krocodile spoons and various colored flukes, including baby bass green for Nada.
    We then bait fished with anchovies and sardines for Nada, then my buddy decided to drop down a nightcrawler and bam instant hookup ! So we stayed on the worms for the last hour there, but never got another bite. There is so much to learn and try and figure out, I just need to make the effort to get out more often and gain more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Stripers have been in both lakes for many years and until last several years the shad had been plentiful but now seemingly non-existent at least at Silverwood. I'm sure some get back in via the aqueduct but hell we all know that the stripers love to sit in that area and ambush just about everything. I have been discussing this with others for quite a while and would love to have professional input on whether or not they have been completely eradicated or if this is just a cycle and they still are there in sufficient number and also if they could be re-stocked at some point. The lack of forage seems to be having quite an impact on the LMB's. I know the stripers prey on silversides too but they definitely seem to have a preference for the greenies.

Kwin?
    Lack of forage for LMB/SB at Silverwood?

Surely you jest.

Silverwood is LOADED with food for LMB/SB. Silversides, hitch, blackfish, tule perch, small stripers/lmb/bluegill/crappie, bigscale logperch, sculpin and gobies. Throw in the largest trout allotment in SoCal (thank DWR) and forage is absolutely not lacking at Silverwood. Anglers freak out about shad because that is what they read about/see on TV and are largely unaware of the other forage options available. I doubt ALL of the threadfin have been wiped out and there has recently been the first documentation of American Shad in the lake too (3 of them). They were 18-19" and too big to be eaten by anything that swims in the lake, but with the amount of current generated, it is plausible they could spawn. LMB and SB certainly are not starving to death.

We shocked the lake this week and the abundance of forage options mentioned were clear and present with the most 3-6" SB I have seen in a long while.

Thanks Kwin, My question to you is why do you think we are seeing such huge numbers of 3-6" SB especially this time of year. Normally we'd be seeing lots of 2 to 4 pound schoolies now and normally see those schools of dinks mid to late summer?

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Thanks Kwin, My question to you is why do you think we are seeing such huge numbers of 3-6" SB especially this time of year. Normally we'd be seeing lots of 2 to 4 pound schoolies now and normally see those schools of dinks mid to late summer?
    the thing with stripers is, the larger they are, the more they require coolwater refuges with adequate oxygen in times of warmer water. with the ongoing drought and warmer climate (and warmer water) we've recently experienced, larger fish have had not had that coolwater refuge in a lot of lakes in SoCal. their anadromous life history where large adults move into freshwater to spawn and then leave to go back to a colder ocean with abundant food is severely disrupted. typically, the hatched juveniles stay in the warmer river/estuary until they reach a large enough size to succeed in the ocean. so the smaller stripers do just fine under the current conditions. it's the larger adults that cannot access any coolwater in our lakes/reservoirs that can't hang since they are trapped in a warmer lake and cannot leave their situation, their metabolism is faster and thus require more food to meet their energy demand. if there are more fish in the lake due to a good spawn or lack of adequate harvest, there are more mouths, that require more food and growth rates could suffer. if the trend of warmer water and prolonged drought continues I would expect an abundance of smaller fish with an absence of the large ones most anglers prefer in most SoCal lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Lack of forage for LMB/SB at Silverwood?

Surely you jest.

Silverwood is LOADED with food for LMB/SB. Silversides, hitch, blackfish, tule perch, small stripers/lmb/bluegill/crappie, bigscale logperch, sculpin and gobies. Throw in the largest trout allotment in SoCal (thank DWR) and forage is absolutely not lacking at Silverwood. Anglers freak out about shad because that is what they read about/see on TV and are largely unaware of the other forage options available. I doubt ALL of the threadfin have been wiped out and there has recently been the first documentation of American Shad in the lake too (3 of them). They were 18-19" and too big to be eaten by anything that swims in the lake, but with the amount of current generated, it is plausible they could spawn. LMB and SB certainly are not starving to death.

We shocked the lake this week and the abundance of forage options mentioned were clear and present with the most 3-6" SB I have seen in a long while.
    Thank you for the update. I never stated that I thought there was not enough forage, please re-read if that is what you got from my posts. The silverside population is ridiculous and the baby bass are more than plentiful. Yep saw the plentiful beds last year also. But all that aside the bite changes when there is a lack of threadfin in the lake. The open water boils are definitely down, the slurping of the silversides is still there but the stripers don't seem to be chasing them as aggressively as they are the lmb fry. The stripers I have caught have been very plump and well fed. But topwater striper bites that I have fished for many years have just not been there and I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with shad populations having diminished. The multiple fish species I'm sure are still there but the pattern has changed as they target different forage.

If the stripers continue to target largemouth due to the lack of their favorite forage fish, threadfins, is it not possible that the largemouth population might also diminish in the future?

See as the lakes change we are not all privy to your information so speculation is all we have, that and time on the lake which I feel is also pretty valuable.

Thank you!

Kwin, thanks for the info that is what I have also thought myself. I have fished silver wood since it first opened when you could fish till 10:00 at night. On a boat.
    Last edited by drifter023; 11-24-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12