Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How`s the Bite

Default How`s the Bite

Anybody been on the lake fishing for Stripers this week ? Have they started stocking Trout yet ? Thinking about going out on Sunday and just wondering if their biting.

Trout were stocked last week. I went Monday, trolled the dam, Chemise bay, and Millers cyn with big swimbaits, small rapalas and roostertails til noon for nada. Try the inlet, some boats tied up there seemed to be doing ok. I wanted to find my own fish. Bad choice

Trout were stocked the week before last, if they dumped last week and I didn't hear about it that would be quite a shock to me. The bite has been slow overall with some flurries of action, actually as far as schoolies go a decent bite ended almost a month ago very strange this year and for me compared to all the years I've fished there one of the slowest, the LMB's didn't even seem to turn on this fall. They have not been listing any of the plants on the DFW's website, good job DFW!

Bad news continues to be lack of shad, silversides everywhere but apparently the stripers are preferring the calorie count of a baby LMB to the skinny silversides, most stripers I've sampled were chocked full with greenies.

On the positive side there is a low pressure system scheduled to come thru next week, prior to the last low pressure a couple weeks ago there was a nice 2 day flurry of stripers but on the negative side giant full moon might mitigate any uptick in the bite.
    Last edited by seal; 11-11-2016 at 09:46 AM.

I`ve only been up there twice this year and both times got skunked. If I cant get the stripers to bite, then sounds like I`ll be trout fishing.
    Thanks for the Info.

Seal,

A Great post!

i was out there yesterday with some buddys we rented a boat and caught 3 stripers most of the lake seamed dead biggest was 16 1/2 in all caught with rapalas

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Trout were stocked the week before last, if they dumped last week and I didn't hear about it that would be quite a shock to me. The bite has been slow overall with some flurries of action, actually as far as schoolies go a decent bite ended almost a month ago very strange this year and for me compared to all the years I've fished there one of the slowest, the LMB's didn't even seem to turn on this fall. They have not been listing any of the plants on the DFW's website, good job DFW!

Bad news continues to be lack of shad, silversides everywhere but apparently the stripers are preferring the calorie count of a baby LMB to the skinny silversides, most stripers I've sampled were chocked full with greenies.

On the positive side there is a low pressure system scheduled to come thru next week, prior to the last low pressure a couple weeks ago there was a nice 2 day flurry of stripers but on the negative side giant full moon might mitigate any uptick in the bite.
    Man, the exact same situation at Skinner. No shad, stripers eating bass, very slow for the last month.... etc. etc.

Stripers have been in both lakes for many years and until last several years the shad had been plentiful but now seemingly non-existent at least at Silverwood. I'm sure some get back in via the aqueduct but hell we all know that the stripers love to sit in that area and ambush just about everything. I have been discussing this with others for quite a while and would love to have professional input on whether or not they have been completely eradicated or if this is just a cycle and they still are there in sufficient number and also if they could be re-stocked at some point. The lack of forage seems to be having quite an impact on the LMB's. I know the stripers prey on silversides too but they definitely seem to have a preference for the greenies.

Kwin?
    Last edited by seal; 11-14-2016 at 09:34 AM.

If I remember right Kwin's last census at Skinner showed no shad. I can tell you that the number of stripers taken last year went way up. I won't relive the old threads about multi limit poaching, but between that and the odd lack of stripers this year tell me that something else is afoot. No way did the stripers eat all the shad. Never have I seen so many micro stripers this time of year. Usually we see them in August boiling and chasing midges and new hatched silversides. Even trolling near the bottom we're hitting 4-6 inch fish mid November.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    If I remember right Kwin's last census at Skinner showed no shad. I can tell you that the number of stripers taken last year went way up. I won't relive the old threads about multi limit poaching, but between that and the odd lack of stripers this year tell me that something else is afoot. No way did the stripers eat all the shad. Never have I seen so many micro stripers this time of year. Usually we see them in August boiling and chasing midges and new hatched silversides. Even trolling near the bottom we're hitting 4-6 inch fish mid November.
    The striper size and population fluctuation I think is kind of common. I've seen the same cycles at Mead and Silverwood. This year the fish being caught are nice and plump 14" to 18" schoolies but I sure miss the 3-8 pounders from several years back. I do believe the swimbait insanity that hit Silverwood after DVL went south took a big hit on the bigger fish. Lot's of individuals were fishing the off limits areas and keeping the big ones to brag about and feed the neighborhood oh and sell um to businesses, yep I said it and pretty much believe and know it to be true. Oh well now that it's a tougher bite most have moved on and eventually the population will recover, I'll be there when it does but sure as hell won't publicize it on the Internet, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast