On Friday, October 21st I got and invite to fish off of a 36' Cabo. I had prior engagements but how could I deny an invite to fish off a super sport fisher. We get to the island at about 7am and pick our spot in the middle of the fleet. There was quite a few boats out that day at the island, it took us a bit to figure it out until I get on the Binos and spot a big flock of birds plaguing one of the Charter boats. We make sure we set up on a drift far enough and not drift in their chum line. The Cabo drifts very fast so once we drift towards the stern side of the charter we triple up on these back breaking bruiser YFT, they were finicky and we were only able to hook them on 20 and 25lb line. Unfortunately I did not hook up on the first go around so I played deck hand which worked out. With the light line the crew were hurt after a 1 hr plus fight and I asked them weather they like my help to kill the fish. Thong gratefully handed the rod over, with these big fish on light line you only have short time before your line chafe either their sharp teeth or from rubbing on their back and tails. Everyone on the boat understands its not an Ego thing anda fresh arm fighting the fish is what helps kill these fish at times. By now 1 fish was chaffed off by a hammerhead and we still had 2 going, I proceeded put the wood to the fish and short pump it to the boat 20 min later with 2 gaffs in the PIG we hoist a 80lb class YFT on board. The third fish gets freyed off.

Thong hooks up again shortly after and gets chewed off with 20lb line and a size 4 circle. We reset and go triple bendo drifting down hill of the O-95. We do the tuna shuffle and I get my fish to deep color on 25lb Inviz X when I get chewed off. The second fish gets to color 5 cranks from the boat another heart break and we get chewed off. The third fish Duc was on and fighting this fish for a good 2 hours, then Thong fought the fish, this fish was a mean one... I thought it was a large BFT the way it fought, then he handed me the rod. We chase down the fish I pull as hard as I possibly could on 25 lb line and 45 min later we were able to put the 2nd fish on the boat. This fish was in the 50-60 lb and won my respect this was one of the hardest fighting tuna I have ever hooked in that size range.

There were a Parker from San Diego who was nice enough to snap some pic with their professional camera but I was unable to get there contact info. We handed them off a pass of bait since we were done and head for the barn.

P.S Sorry to the yacht that we ran your line over while fighting the fish its tough maneuvering a 36' boat when theres a bunch of boats that close together we needed to land this fish after the 3 hr fight. Oh and please do not kick my *** for it Tito Ortiz I think you were on the boat with the guys.

Until Next Time
Go Big Or Go Home
ToadsToadsOnly

IG @grindmentality