Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sun eve. 10/14, pixs, by Native Gal

Default Sun eve. 10/14, pixs, by Native Gal

Hello to all fellow anglers, :D
    My husband and I decided to go fishing Sunday since we were busy the previous two weeks with work. Decided to fish the Carlsbad Lagoon, wanted to see what lurked in the night 8) . Had to work first a lil in the garage. Left late from Mo Valley around 4:30, grabbed some garlic N/C's and chovies and off we go. Started fishing around 6:30 in the Lagoon, very overcast. One day I would like to try the surf area. Got some small nibbles the first hour but no takers. Moved over to the left little by little, 8 p.m. finally my husband gets a good hit and fish on. He caught a lil Ray. A little while later I see something bobbing in the water to my right about 50 feet away and 12 feet from the embankment. At first I thought it was some trash but it kept slowly moving to the embankment. What is it? I looked and saw the back side come out of the water, a turtle? Hmmmm? The head comes up a lil more and then I think "looks like a seal". It slowly cruises in more and lifts its head a little. A seal. I told my husband "Hon, there is something in the water over here. Looks like a seal". He climbs the small embankment to check it out and it lifts its head more and sure enough it is a seal. It sinks back down slowly when it sees him and takes off back into the night. We were like that was cool. Mostly I saw it silhoutted in the dark but it was cool to see it when it came up more. I was just hoping he would not seize one of our anchovies. By now we are getting more nibbles. My husband then catches a Hefty lil 4 lb. Bat Ray that put up a good fight. He started pulling line out of the reel. At first we thought, hmmmm!, something huge. Finally we saw him and boy was he mad, he came out of the water with his tail curled like a scorpion. I wish I had the video camera. Took some quick pixs and watched out for the tail as we released him back into the night. He got his bearings after a few seconds and took off into the night. He was the catch of the night. My husband moved over to the left a lil more so I could hit his spot, mine was still small nibblers stealing bait. So I tossed out an anchovie and held my pole becuase the hits in this spot were constant, sure enough about 5 minutes I get a lil hit. I knew it was small by the hit and when I was reeling in, sure enough a lil bass that thankfully helped me beat the skunk for the night. The last fish of the night came about 10:30 when my pole slowly goes MAJOR Bendo. I thought it was gonna break. I reel it in with a good fight and it is a nice lil Cali Hali. All in all for less than 4 hours of fishing we had a blast. We would have liked to stay later but no parking after 11, so we went home stoked from our SW catches as usual. We always have so much fun fishing together. The water was calm that night with a slow undercurrent. Bait of choice was anchovies, N/C's did not produce as usual for this night. Until next outing, TIGHT LINES TO ALL!!!!! Native Gal :wink:
    All fish safely CPR in the making of this report :wink: Thanks.

Default Re: Sun eve. 10/14, pixs, by Native Gal

Nice fish! :D
    Was that hali legal?

Just short by 2 inches. NG

Nice pics and thanks for sharing your outing.

FYI, if you are not aware that some of those flat sharks have stingers on their tails (especially the first picture of your husband) so be very careful they don't swing that tail around and get you. It's an extremely painful sting. :rain: It'll ruin your day!
    Usually when they arch their backs that's what they're trying to do. I've been stung myself :cry:
    I usually grab them by the tip of their tails to keep myself safe.
    Sorry if you already know this.

So very cool that you guys fish together! I wish that my wife fished... she will go along but reads a book. Maybe I'll get her a license and hand off the pole to her someday! Thanks for the report and pics!

Cool pics!

Good job catching stuff at the lagoon!

Mleegal, you look like you're having alot of fun! I'm very happy for you! :D

Thanks for sharing your outing with us!

Fisher-of-Men

Hey there NG...Great post. Nice to see a husband and wife enjoying our sport so much TOGETHER. :D Congrats.

I think thye call those rays, "cow nose" rays..

Great job!

GM

Nice report and pics!

Thanks,
    One_Leg