Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 55 lb thrust minn kota too big for 9' pontoon boat?

Default 55 lb thrust minn kota too big for 9' pontoon boat?

Hey guys,

So the past few weeks have been filled with some surprises. For our anniversary last month, my girlfriend bought me a Classic Accessories Colorado 9' Pontoon Boat. She has always heard me talking about how I wanted a float tube and surprised me with this pontoon.

I had been looking at areas to launch and try out my new toy when just last week, for Boss's day, my staff at the office pitched in and bought me a Minn Kota Endura C2 55 lb thrust Trolling Motor.

Needless to say, I was shocked and ecstatic. However, a rep from Classic Accessories e-mailed me stating that anything over a 40 lb thrust motor was going to create too much weight in the back of the pontoon and the front would flip up. Is this true?

In your guy's opinion, is the 55 lb too much motor for this pontoon? I didn't want to have my staff return and repurchase another motor if I didn't have to.
    Last edited by gokuguy; 10-30-2016 at 02:09 PM.

I don't have any experience with trolling motors on pontoon boats, but it seems that a 55lb motor is way overkill for such a small craft. I had a 55lb motor on my 16' Crestliner, probably 10 times heavier than an inflatable pontoon, and it pushed it along at a pretty good clip. Plus you'll need a decent battery, which is also very heavy. I think that the 30lb Endura would be the perfect size. Also, you could consider buying 2 smaller tractor 12v batteries and wiring them up in parallel, easier to carry around, and you'd have more flexibility in mounting it as far forward as possible.

Having said that, though, the first reviewer on Cabela's for your boat said that he uses a 55lb motor and it works fine.

Congrats on the new pontoon, and for having people in your life that think so highly of you!

I have an eight foot Pontoon boat but decided against putting a motor on it when I discovered I would have to register it and show CF numbers (and carry the registration, etc. There are times on some of the CA harbors that I wish I had a motor.