Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Newport Bay Mackerel Bite

Default Newport Bay Mackerel Bite

Went to Newport on Saturday and kicked out to the end of the East jetty and the mackerel bite was on! Unfortunately, I doofused the camera and didn't get most of it on camera, but it was pretty wide open. As the sun got higher, the fish moved lower in the water column until the bite finally turned off for me around noon. I was surprised that the initial bite from the macks seems a bit tentative and they didn't really come alive until they've been on the line for a bit. It was lots of fun on light tackle and now I'm primed for some bonito action!

Happy fishing!

Nice Bob!!! Sure was a calm day out any the end of the jetty. Looks like you had fun.

Excellent job of getting out there and capturing it all on video.

SP Dan <"))><

Bring a can of cat food, poke a hole and leave it. Macs stay with you all day. Get a sabiki and use 4 hooks. Catch a hundred of them a day.

Ur more likely that not to get a puncture hole in ur tubes with a sabiki!! Or even those air zodiac boats. I like
    Rigid pelican/Coleman boats instead. Foam filled and puncture resistant atleast.
    Nice bait catch BTW. use them as hoop bait for bugs