Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: ocean sunfish?

Default ocean sunfish?

i saw a sunfish caught on a boat the other day...

does anyone know anything about this fish?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	833df15a4764a344ae5a37b7cd02521b.jpg 
Views:	30144 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	49153

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 10-21-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Mola Mola. Strange fish that grow very, very large. Skin density is so tough that Seals and even sharks don't bother eating them

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Mola Mola. Strange fish that grow very, very large. Skin density is so tough that Seals and even sharks don't bother eating them

Thanks V,

i guess they're not good to eat?

We have spotted several of the ocean sunfish over the past several years. Some quite large. Never caught one or had one go for our bait I checked out the fish and found out that Japan has the record for the largest sunfish which was bigger than most automobiles. They grow extremely large in waters around japan. There is a society that tracks where they have been sited. So ca area is noted as a large population of sunfish.
    Tight Lines and God Bless

I see them quite a bit offshore. I heard they are poisonous that's why nobody eats them. They only eat jellyfish which is why you don't catch them on a rod. I snagged one once with a jig and got worked. I ended up busting it off after about 10 minutes because I didn't want to deal with it. You have to be careful not to run them over, I heard they have been known to break propellers.

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post

hope the fish is cleaner and he now has a few more friends to ride home with... his free pass is he has hands to remove the parasites!

I hooked one years ago at Tanner bank when the football bluefin were mixed with albacore. The thing was hanging around right off our stern...looked slow and awkward... Was reeling up a sardine after a soak and it ate it right in front of me maybe 6-7 feet from the boat. Anyways, as soon as it felt the hook it turned away from me and started to smoke me on 20 lb. I had no idea how fast they were until then. Anyways...couldn't stop it with thumb pressure after taking 1/2 the line on my sealine 30 still on its initial run so I just buttoned down and popped him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenfish View Post
    I hooked one years ago at Tanner bank when the football bluefin were mixed with albacore. The thing was hanging around right off our stern...looked slow and awkward... Was reeling up a sardine after a soak and it ate it right in front of me maybe 6-7 feet from the boat. Anyways, as soon as it felt the hook it turned away from me and started to smoke me on 20 lb. I had no idea how fast they were until then. Anyways...couldn't stop it with thumb pressure after taking 1/2 the line on my sealine 30 still on its initial run so I just buttoned down and popped him off.

it looked to be a HEAVY fighter...

They do get big. Here's one caught off Catalina in 1910. Estimated at 3500 pounds.