Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing on Saturday 10/22

Default Fishing on Saturday 10/22

Hello all, I am planning a fishing trip with a few friends and I am a bit undecided on where to go.

I am rather unexperienced as I barely got into fishing this summer and only have a few catches under my belt(all from saltwater, but trying to get some from freshwater). Do you guys know of any hot spots around the western LA area? We are willing to drive a bit, nothing too far. Most recently, a friend and I went over to puddingstone and got skunk'd, We've also tried Legg lake and SARL. We don't own a boat so we just do shore fishing, however, we are willing to rent one if your suggested location offers rentals and they aren't too pricey. :)

I use an ugly stick with a shakespeare spinning reel. I have a decent amount of tackle and gear now, various type of hooks, crank baits, a spinner baits, worms, and senkos.

Also, which rigs tend to work for you guys at your favorite spots. If you can also leave the price for the boat rental that'll be great, if not, I can look that up. Thanks! :)

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    Hello all, I am planning a fishing trip with a few friends and I am a bit undecided on where to go.

I am rather unexperienced as I barely got into fishing this summer and only have a few catches under my belt(all from saltwater, but trying to get some from freshwater). Do you guys know of any hot spots around the western LA area? We are willing to drive a bit, nothing too far. Most recently, a friend and I went over to puddingstone and got skunk'd, We've also tried Legg lake and SARL. We don't own a boat so we just do shore fishing, however, we are willing to rent one if your suggested location offers rentals and they aren't too pricey. :)

I use an ugly stick with a shakespeare spinning reel. I have a decent amount of tackle and gear now, various type of hooks, crank baits, a spinner baits, worms, and senkos.

Also, which rigs tend to work for you guys at your favorite spots. If you can also leave the price for the boat rental that'll be great, if not, I can look that up. Thanks! :)
    Hey Hows it going, Its hard to say whats a good spot around the LA Area especially during this time I always fish SARL just because its near by, hate that we are unable to launch private boats anymore, Catfish are hard to fish at SARL since they tend to stay at one location "the Honey whole" so moving around the lake is key or better yet get yourself a float tube or rent a boat with a few friends and do some drift fishing flylining once you get a bite you might have found the honey whole, Trout at SARL give some good shore fishing. my go to rigs are either Carolina rig or Santee rig, am not in any way a expert angler but its some adivce that has worked for me, am always up to meeting up with new anglers since i usually fish alone (most of my friends hate fishing lol) hit me up if you ever want to meet up (562) 294-1327

Quote Originally Posted by jhernandez25 View Post
    Hey Hows it going, Its hard to say whats a good spot around the LA Area especially during this time I always fish SARL just because its near by, hate that we are unable to launch private boats anymore, Catfish are hard to fish at SARL since they tend to stay at one location "the Honey whole" so moving around the lake is key or better yet get yourself a float tube or rent a boat with a few friends and do some drift fishing flylining once you get a bite you might have found the honey whole, Trout at SARL give some good shore fishing. my go to rigs are either Carolina rig or Santee rig, am not in any way a expert angler but its some adivce that has worked for me, am always up to meeting up with new anglers since i usually fish alone (most of my friends hate fishing lol) hit me up if you ever want to meet up (562) 294-1327
    Well, I am not taking SARL off the list of possible lakes to go to this weekend since their boat rentals aren't super pricey and it isn't too far from me. Renting a pontoon would be nice. I'll send a text out if it happens. So far, it's 3 of us who are in for some fishing this weekend. Since all 3 of us have been skunk'd there, we're all anxious to bust that and get on some cats out there. I feel that the boat gives us the best chance since we can easily move around to different parts of the lake(rather than pack up the ol' ice chest, chairs, rigs, and canopy and drive around to a different spot).

If we happen to go to SARL, I'll send out a text.

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    Well, I am not taking SARL off the list of possible lakes to go to this weekend since their boat rentals aren't super pricey and it isn't too far from me. Renting a pontoon would be nice. I'll send a text out if it happens. So far, it's 3 of us who are in for some fishing this weekend. Since all 3 of us have been skunk'd there, we're all anxious to bust that and get on some cats out there. I feel that the boat gives us the best chance since we can easily move around to different parts of the lake(rather than pack up the ol' ice chest, chairs, rigs, and canopy and drive around to a different spot).

If we happen to go to SARL, I'll send out a text.
    You might want to check out Guasti in Rancho Cucamonga I heard a lot of good things about that lake especially near the dock I heard the left side produces I have also heard that most anglers go straight there so the earlier the better, I know its a bit far especially to get skunked, :-(

IMO, I wouldn't go out on a boat until I have all the basics down, basics that you can hone from shore. Nothing worse than spending money on a rental, only to get skunked.

If I was just starting out, I'd fish from shore until I get my casting down precise, and get an idea of what type of patterns to be throwing at what particular time. Until I get this down, I wouldn't get on a boat.

I just sent you a PM. Hopefully it helps with your success.

Thanks for the suggestions Dark Shadow! I have replied via pm.

Just closing the loop on this one.

I ended up going to Castaic lake with my gf on Saturday since my friend went MIA at the last minute. She didn't want to sit on the shore all day, so we rented a bout. Got there around 8 and wrapped up around 1:30.

I had no catches, but I did get a couple of bites on a drop shot with Senkos and robo worms. This was my first time fishing from a boat. It was very different from shore fishing, but fun, to say the least. I had a hard time stopping the boat from drifting away since the provided anchor didn't reach the bottom of the lake. I stuck to the coves. I asked a few other guys that were fishing if they had landed anything, but they said they hadn't had any luck yet.

I'll probably be heading somewhere else on Saturday. Castaic was great, but it was an hour and 15 minute drive for me. If I can better my skill at a lake that's closer, then that'll be great. I'll head back to castaic once I get more practice in and when I gather a bigger group.

Thanks for everyone's responses!

FWIW, the DFG has a map of fishing spots and planting locations... always good for ideas of where to go.

CDFW Fishing Guide