Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Baitcasting or spinning reel for bass?

Default Baitcasting or spinning reel for bass?

After seeing a bad backlash on my bait casting reel, my 16 year old grandson Cameron asked me "what are the benefits of a baitcasting reel opposed to a spinning reel while fishing for bass?" I know most of the answers, but would like to see what others say..

For me, personally, it's about the control you have with whatever you are throwing. I feel like I have more control of the movement of a bait when using a baitcaster as opposed to a spinning reel. (Just personal preference though ) That being said, I do use both types of reels and both have their perks.

It depends on how heavy your line is and what lures you're fishing, I fish both loaded with the appropriate braid, leaders are optional..

bait casters look waaaaaay cooler. that's why I got into them - but I have found some advantages and kinda perfer to use them when I can

I don't know about anyone else, but from my experience bait casters can throw a heavier bait much farther than a spinning set up. I imagine that the reason has something to do with the fact that the bait caster is spitting out line behind the bait (hence the backlash issue) whereas baits thrown with a spinning reel are dragging the line behind them. I'd be interested to know what others think.

secondly, I kinda like the feel of a bait caster in my hand - like a312alec said, I feel like I have a better sense of control and touch. maybe that's just in my head, but it's reason enough.

thirdly, I believe I get less line twist with a bait caster than with a spinner.

and lastly, it's more fun to learn how to cast and cast proficiently. Nothing more satisfying than finally being able to consistently sling an LC a mile out to a boiler with out a giant mess piling up on your reel. I've spent more time than I'd care to admit picking out macrame nightmares, but as time gone on this becomes less and less frequent and that's kinda cool.

No matter what sort of reel you use, the lure is always dragging the line off the reel. The difference with a baitcaster is that the line is coming off the reel in a straight line and so there's less resistance from the line hitting the guides (the way the line comes off the reel is why spinning rods must have larger guides near the reel). The other difference is that with a spinning reel, the line is dragging across the top of the spool as it goes out and this resistance is usually greater than the resistance the line has from the reel (or thumb) drag on a baitcaster.

That having been said, the only reason to fish for most of us is to have fun and so use whichever you have the most fun with. For some, the frustrations of dealing with backlash aren't worth the advantages, so do whatever feels good is my motto.

I fish with baitcasters in all situations that I'm using 10lb line or more. I only use spinning reels for finesse fishing, small baits, light line or when fishing into a stiff wind(15-20kts). but if you like spinning reels better there is no reason to switch to a baitcaster until you get into large baits and heavy line. 10-12lb fishes fine on the right spinning setup. There is a point where the advantages of one outweigh the disadvantages but that point is different for every angler. when you first get into bait casters start with 12-15lb line and a lure that is 3/8oz or heavier (1/4oz. for Tex-rig) get used to how the spool feels when it is spinning at the right speed. I usually keep my thumb just off the spool and when I feel the line expanding from over run I touch my thumb to the spool lightly just to slow it down a bit. this of course is after I have set the brakes and spool tension where I want them. and don't forget the less aerodynamic the lure the more brake or thumb pressure is required for the same weight lure.

Gotta agree with twin22s. The learning curve is steep on baitcaster's learning the right break setup. My fishing partner in So Carolina is strictly a spin guy and can do anything with a spinning rig. He use's Gliss line ( http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gliss...cpage-GST.html) on his spinning reels and can cast a mile.

It's Like picking the right tool for the job, I use a spinning reel for my finesse fishing 8 pound test or less and a bait caster for more power fishing 8 pound test or more. there are exceptions but for the most part this works for me.

www.bassinthehood.com