Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toad smallie Sunday Oct 2nd

Default Toad smallie Sunday Oct 2nd

Had heard reports that stripers were active first thing in the morning. Was 2nd boat out of launch area and first to south coves back by quarry.
    No sign of stripers but tons of bait and all the 6-8 inch bass you could handle. At first it was fun to see them blow up on the spook but soon it became frustrating to not get any size. Changed to 3 inch p-line jig in hopes of dropping on the clouds of bait and fish I was seeing on the graph. Every drop was a fish - 6-8 inch bass. Fun for kids if you want to keep em busy.

Switched to reaction bite and was ripping a bone colored Red Eye Shad when this very nice fish started pulling drag. After several runs, I was able to get the net out and land my biggest California smallmouth yet. Beautiful long fish. Could have weighed 5 pounds if she had been eating. My friend was fishing nearby and had him take a couple pics before the release. Had a few more 12 inchers on the shad before I called it quits around noon. Sounded like the other boats had similar luck on small fish. There are literally thousands of these bass roaming. Cant wait for spring...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smallie.jpg 
Views:	1061 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	49111  

Nice! I didn't know DVL had smallmouth. Might have to target them sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Nice! I didn't know DVL had smallmouth. Might have to target them sometime.
    People sometimes forget DVL was suppose to be one of the best fishing lakes in the southern part of the state for a variety of species. They envisioned and stocked panfish, catfish, SMB, a holdover Rainbow trout fishery, a good Brown trout fishery and the best LMB fishing this side of the Pecos. The LMB fishery turned out to be a pretty good one but what happened to the others???? Let's all say it together, "F ing STRIPERS" got in there and wrecked havoc on everything but somehow the LMB fishery held up pretty well!! (that say's something about those green carp) Imagine how good the lake would be if those things didn't get in there!!!!!! Yea Yea I know it created another fishery, but what happened to the great Striper bite of 3-4 years ago???? I'm sure if people were given a choice "NOW" nobody would wish those Stripers got in there!!!! They sort of wrecked things and became sorta scarce themselves!!!! Is someone to blame for this???? I don't know if there was away to have kept them out. But if there was, "someone should have fallen on his sword over that one!!!"
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-05-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Is someone to blame for this???? I don't know if there was away to have kept them out. But if there was, "someone should have fallen on his sword over that one!!!"
    But where's the thermocline?!

That's the important information we need.

WTG on that nice smallie. thanks for posting. I love the fall bite cant wait to head out for some stripers.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    People sometimes forget DVL was suppose to be one of the best fishing lakes in the southern part of the state for a variety of species. They envisioned and stocked panfish, catfish, SMB, a holdover Rainbow trout fishery, a good Brown trout fishery and the best LMB fishing this side of the Pecos. The LMB fishery turned out to be a pretty good one but what happened to the others???? Let's all say it together, "F ing STRIPERS" got in there and wrecked havoc on everything but somehow the LMB fishery held up pretty well!! (that say's something about those green carp) Imagine how good the lake would be if those things didn't get in there!!!!!! Yea Yea I know it created another fishery, but what happened to the great Striper bite of 3-4 years ago???? I'm sure if people were given a choice "NOW" nobody would wish those Stripers got in there!!!! They sort of wrecked things and became sorta scarce themselves!!!! Is someone to blame for this???? I don't know if there was away to have kept them out. But if there was, "someone should have fallen on his sword over that one!!!"
    I use to release most of the strippers I caught. But of the ones I kept, I often found small LMB in the stomach when I cleaned them. Now, I keep all strippers I catch. They say strippers don't negatively affect LMB but when they are eating them and their food supply, how can it not?

Nice smallie pez gringo. I was there today and took out the rental boat around 7am. There was probably only around 5 other rental boats out there today. I had the same experience you had Pez. Loads of small 6-8 inch LMB. I got tired of wasting my senkos on these grade of bass. Switched to keitech swing impact and got a few in the 2lb range.
    Last edited by shiromaguro88; 10-05-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Beautiful fish,I've caught a few smallies there,not as nice as that one though,wtg!
    Go Broncos!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    I use to release most of the strippers I caught. But of the ones I kept, I often found small LMB in the stomach when I cleaned them. Now, I keep all strippers I catch. They say strippers don't negatively affect LMB but when they are eating them and their food supply, how can it not?
    Anyone who tells you Stripers don't effect LMB populations, ask them to explain what happened to lake Castaic in the mid 1990's. Castaic went from a sure bet to produce the next "WORLD RECORD" LMB to an also ran LMB fishery.

Castaic did turn into a pretty good small Striper kinda lake. But have you noticed how similar the size of them are. (cookie cutters) Every once in awhile someone will catch a bigger one. The Eire comparison to a pay lake trout fishery in my opinion was not worth the Trophy style Bass lake we lost in Castaic once the Stripers get in there.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-06-2016 at 01:31 PM.

STRIPERS are a DEATH-CALL to almost every lake they call home or find their way into.

YFP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast