Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: "Double D's (AKA Durdy Daug) Father & Son First Annual Blythe Fishing Weekend "~ ! ~

Default "Double D's (AKA Durdy Daug) Father & Son First Annual Blythe Fishing Weekend "~ ! ~

My first year of borrowed time is coming up, and to celebrate, I convinced my Son (Minh) that I needed a body guard as well as "Captain of my Boat" for the weekend...
    First time ever he said that he would go!
    Expecting to have a blast!
    Free Beef Jerky at site while supplies last...
    Hoping to see you there ~ put some names with faces.

DD, sounds like you are back in action! Sounds like a great you have planned with your son. If I could make it I would.... and would love to try out your jerky. Have fun and be safe.

I'll be heading up to Willow Beach in the early fall and give the Stripers a shot. The WB National Trout hatchery is slated to start stocking again in Feb. '17. If you've never been to WB, it's nice!

El Jefe - I'm heading to Cottonwood in early Nov and we usually work the whole stretch up to Willow, I will keep everyone posted. Glad to hear the hatchery will be back in action for something other than endangered chubs.

Please do keep me posted I have 60 A/C plugs, but have yet to be broken in... On the list though! Could this be a "Flash Back" to 1996? The Year I started on EB-01 With Clifford (T) Wilson the first! Caught my first Tuna that year out of Point Loma - fished the "Tracer". Well that would surly fit as that was the start of one of my life's best chapters... "Well If I Ain't in it I sure don't gonna get it!"
    Too early for the stripers yet? Cat Fish? Red Ear?
    Any news out there!
    Give a struggling Brother a Break!

How many days notice can I get and how long we gonna be out?

Well, I will be writing a detailed report on a separate post of this past trip. This trip, for the first time, I actually took notes of the days and the highlights of the day and the trip overall. I am unfortunately unable to compose those said notes at this moment in time, but rest assured I will do it soon. My washing machine broke, I have a very Fat lip right now and I came down with some kind of illness while out there this time...

My father and I used to go to Cottonwood cove in the middle 70s. Usually around Easter. We would catch lots of rainbow trout and or kokane just to the right (south?) of the cove. Does that area still have any trout like fish any more?

Quote Originally Posted by bmachale View Post
    My father and I used to go to Cottonwood cove in the middle 70s. Usually around Easter. We would catch lots of rainbow trout and or kokane just to the right (south?) of the cove. Does that area still have any trout like fish any more?
    I too remember those days. My bro and I used to camp at Cottonwood Cove and fish Lake Mohave in the 70's. Unfortunately, the trout fishery has been decimated by the striper population. We used to fish at Willow Beach when 5-8 lb holdover trout were the norm and was regarded as a "trophy fishery". Once the trout fishing faded away at Cottonwood and Willow Beach, we started fishing for trout on the southern end of Lake Mohave at Katherines Landing near Davis Dam. The first few years (early 80's) were pretty good for trout (2-4 lbs) in the sandy coves but eventually that faded also. You can still catch planted rainbows when stocked immediately afterward but there's no more holdovers that can withstand the voracious striper appetite.

We can only hope with the increased trout plants at Willow Beach it can get back to the"old days" but I doubt it will be a trophy trout fishery, thanks to the striped bass.

Big Al

Willow Beach correction....

Trout are scheduled to be delivered to hatchery in November and by February 2017 be ready for release/plantings. WB Striper bite should recover to as it was prior to hatchery closing, which was just over one year. WB is a very nice place, with campgrounds, Marina, slips, and RV park.

DD....waiting for your report....how did it go with the father/son trip?

Heading to Willow in mid/late November