Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Catfish are jumping after the Knuabe catch kid's derby at La Mirada Regional park!!!!

Default Catfish are jumping after the Knuabe catch kid's derby at La Mirada Regional park!!!!

I should say the fish were biting for me!!!! lol This was the last Knuabe Catch kid's fishing derby to be held at La Mirada Regional park, do to LA County Supervisor Don Knuabe retiring. The derby was special since there was many large Catfish stocked. The biggest fish caught in the derby was an #8 pounder but I saw a #10 pounder caught Sunday. There were many successful angler's young and old who caught fish on Saturday. To me the real fishing start's on Sunday morning after the derby. That's because most of the stupid fish have already been caught on Saturday and come Sunday you have to find them and that's a whole new ball game.

To be continued!!! I'm going back right now to catch a few more. lol

Sorry for not finishing this report, the GF called and was wasting my time telling me her troubles but I knew I had better get back to the pond BEFORE my fellow fishermen found or saw my catch of catfish and where that honey hole is located. I'm glad I did, I caught another 20 catfish and hit the same spot this morning for 12 more. (I'm getting a head of my self)

Back to Sunday morning.

Sunday day morning I came to the lake at sunrise to find yesterday's hot spot covered with anglers. No problem, I'll fish them where the other anglers aren't at. I know every spot on that lake like the back of my hand and even have them rated as a top spot, average spot or long shot spot. I ran into an old couple I fished with for years who knew the lake as good as I do but have a hard time making the right decision. (that's what I do best) They talked about fishing the deep water but alas they joined the herd on fishing yesterday's hot spot. (they ended up catching only 1 fish and I haven't seen them since) My motto is to get there first and start catching fish and then defend my spot against all the Raiders!!!! (no not the football team) But people who's fishing strategy is to find out who's catching them and muscling in on their spot by hook or crook. Not one single person was fishing the deep water spots on the West bank. So I had my pick of all the spots. I choose Catfish Alley (named by me) which is by far the best spot historically in the deep water. Sure enough they were waiting for me there!!!!! I get bit on the very first cast and it was game on for the next 3 hours. On my 2nd fish disaster struck and my line broke when bouncing a catfish. If anyone has seen my slip bobber rig it's not the simplest thing to rig up in the heat of battle. (so I went with 1 pole instead of 2) About the time I caught my 4th fish and the other 50 people haven't caught squat yet the Raiders started to move in on me. I now had people on both sides of me and everyone across the lake was bombing in to my spot. Once I got into double digits on the catfish a Raider across the lake tangled up my bobber rig to the point of total FUBAR!!!!!!! So I called it a day and went home. (that's not my kind of fishing)

So Monday morning comes around for round 2.

I invited Glenn to join me but he was such a non starter he won't be mentioned much in this report. I got to the lake first before sunrise and went straight for Catfish Alley. Another friend of mine shod up and I invited him to join me in my spot. The next guy who shod up at the lake was a Raider with the balls the size of superman. He tried to set up in the 18 inches between me and my friend. I wouldn't have any of that and told him to set up on either side of us but not in between the 2 of us. Glenn shod up and wander off to the side and wanted to fish in some terrible spot. I thought I might as give the whole lake a look see and took off after catching only 1 catfish in Catfish Alley. Every spot I tried I didn't even get a nibble. Glenn eventually came over and fished with me and didn't catch anything either. So I said, "let's fish 1 more spot in the deep water and then call it a day." I was fishing on the opposite side of the lake of Catfish Alley. (this spot I call the loser spot) Low and Behold I found a very nice wad of catfish there!! I knew Glenn was tired and wasn't going to catch anything with his Mickey Mouse rig but he was gracious enough to fish with me till I caught 12 Catfish. (I left them biting) After that we took off and went to IHOP and had breakfast. When I got home I knew right where those catfish were and they were still hungry. That's when I started typing this report in real time so someone might find this report useful. That's when the GF called and you know the rest. I went back and put on a Catch & Release clinic to 30 eager spectator's. In 3 hours I C&R another 20 catfish to the amazement of my fellow anglers. (32 in one day is a pretty good day even for me) It wasn't even in my top 10 ten catfish catch's but was impressive enough. All of the other anglers put together I think only caught 6 catfish. That's why this morning only 3 other anglers even bothered to show up. I caught another 12 catfish this morning and they all got skunked!!!!! All my catfish were caught on Meal worms or Shrimp in about a 50-50 split. There is still some catfish in there but unless you know the lake or you're a Raider it's going to be kinda tough. I don't count, because that is my home lake and nobody comes into my house and shows me up!!!!!! lol lol lol I'm just kidding, not about me being the Catfish king but if there is something I could do to help don't be afraid to ask. Thanks for reading my story!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-28-2016 at 05:18 AM.

WTG Tucker. Raider Nation Lives !