Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Trolling big bear 9/22

Default Trolling big bear 9/22

Caught 4 today 3 on the little spoon I made myself and 1 on a f5 perch rapala. I don't have pictures of the fish because I was able to release all of them since the water is cooler at 58 degrees. The fish are moving since the water is cooling so they are pretty scattered. I got 1 at China island 1 in front of North Shore landing and 2 by the west ramp monitoring bouy. People where catching fish all the way to the observatory. All fish were caught from the surface down to 2 colors. So they are coming up and should really start to get active soon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160924_165329.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	49089
    Last edited by pwynn; 09-24-2016 at 05:20 PM.

When we used to fish it regularly the Perch and Metallic Perch Needlefish were always winners ... use #1 early in the spring and #2 later. The Rapalas ... perch and fire minnow are gr8t Raps

2 colors is NICE ... maybe can use straight mono ... instead of lead core?
    Last edited by billy b; 09-27-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    When we used to fish it regularly the Perch and Metallic Perch Needlefish were always winners ... use #1 early in the spring and #2 later. The Rapals ... perch and fire perch are gr8t as you mentioned.

2 colors is NICE ... maybe can use straight mono ... instead of lead core?
    i did troll straight mono but i was getting bit at around 10 feet. I expect them to be up on the surface real soon.

Nice report pwynn, I like that little spoon you made...congrats on sticking some fish with it!

TD

Awesome report thanks for sharing and I am trying to plan another trip SOON.

Glad to see someone caught fish, I was up there the whole week and never caught one while trolling. The lake was a mess, between the low level and all the algae. Actually left thursday morning because it was so windy. Never tried the perch pattern, guess i`ll have to remember it for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by bstolton View Post
    Glad to see someone caught fish, I was up there the whole week and never caught one while trolling. The lake was a mess, between the low level and all the algae. Actually left thursday morning because it was so windy. Never tried the perch pattern, guess i`ll have to remember it for next time.
    Trick to Big Bear. Hit it early, hit it late, avoid the wind if ya can., if you're in a boat dont be afraid of drifting some bait.
    Sorry to hear ya got beat up for a week, my guess is because the lake is FLIPPING. It is soon going to be if not already wide open on the shoreline bite by the look of the latest BBMWD chart.
    http://www.bbmwd.com/wp-content/uplo...mno-Report.pdf
    Folks really need to check this and more so BBSG guys for the low down. I bet the derby is crazy this year with fish.

I went out 4 or 5 mornings just after sunrise for a couple of hours each time, just never got hooked up. Early mornings is when I had good luck in the past, we only caught 3 fish the whole time and that was on 2 different days we drifted around lunch time. Sure hope they get some rain and lots of snow this winter, there`s some really shallow spots out there, if it drops another 3-4 feet its going to be pretty sketchy out there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by pwynn View Post
    Caught 4 today 3 on the little spoon I made myself and 1 on a f5 perch rapala. I don't have pictures of the fish because I was able to release all of them since the water is cooler at 58 degrees. The fish are moving since the water is cooling so they are pretty scattered. I got 1 at China island 1 in front of North Shore landing and 2 by the west ramp monitoring bouy. People where catching fish all the way to the observatory. All fish were caught from the surface down to 2 colors. So they are coming up and should really start to get active soon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160924_165329.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	49089
    GREAT LOOOKING lure . That Perch Rapala should work well.
    Last edited by billy b; 10-18-2016 at 10:47 AM.