Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: NPH second round

Default NPH second round

Had such a good time my first voyage in nph a few weeks ago I've been itching to go back. This time my middle son (6y/o) demanded he go this time instead. Since I felt more comfortable with some time out there I thought he'd be ok. Not brave enough to have 3 of us together.

My plan was to venture out to the bait barge, but I couldn't believe how thick the marine layer was! I was not going to chance my inexperience in that area with the poor visibility. I saw an older gentleman in a hobie and he caught a couple barracuda by the jetty but came back because he also was worried.

We got to the coast guard beach and I personally loved this weather.

Had a lot of short bites that didn't stick today. We managed a couple but seemed pretty slow.
    I did spend a lot more time this time untangling the little guy but he definitely got one on his own with a piece of squid I had him soaking whole I threw the big hammer.

I tried 3 different colors of BH and even tried a jr fluke on a scrounger around the mooring lines, but again fish were not very active. We got this guy when I decided to troll the BH when going to a new spot, I was surprised by that.

All in all still a fun day and great time with my boy! Now my 4 y/o wants to go out to catch his own spotted bay bass. I guess they're more interested in that rather than Trout now!

Anyone else use the scrounger head for bay bass or halibut by the way? Thought I'd give it a try as seemed like it would work but no bites at all. Wasn't sure if I should abandon that approach at all. Always like trying new things.

Thanks!

Very cool report, the smile on the kid says it all............Verne

Thanks for the report and pics! Fishing with dad is the best!

Hi ya StumpFisher,
    Way to go pops!!

Good times and lasting memories for you and your kidlets! WOW!

I honestly do enjoy reading your reports and at the same time ... I'm a bit green ...
    because my (3) son's are all grown men now with their own families.

I really do miss those good days of sharing my time and interest with them.

Thanx for the stirring of my memories ....

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 09-22-2016 at 11:56 AM.

scroungers work good for halibut. I used to use them with the old skinny worm king swimbait tails by Cabrillo pier and jetty. Caught some off the beach on scroungers and plastics in the past as well.