Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1 1/2 day trips out of San Pedro to Newport?

Default 1 1/2 day trips out of San Pedro to Newport?

Is there any 1 /1/2 day trips out to the Cortes or Tanner banks anymore on boats between San Pedro & Newport? I am tired of the overnight boat rides where we are in transit for 66% of the trip. A 1 1/2 day trip would be worth the money to me to fish these area's. Evan a 1 1/2 day to San Clemente would be OK as long as we are fishing YT and not perch along the kelp beds.
    What do you think
    TL's,
    Bill / jig-guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jig-Guy View Post
    Is there any 1 /1/2 day trips out to the Cortes or Tanner banks anymore on boats between San Pedro & Newport? I am tired of the overnight boat rides where we are in transit for 66% of the trip. A 1 1/2 day trip would be worth the money to me to fish these area's. Evan a 1 1/2 day to San Clemente would be OK as long as we are fishing YT and not perch along the kelp beds.
    What do you think
    TL's,
    Bill / jig-guy
    I have not seen anybody schedule one yet. The El Dorado had a string of bad 1 1/2 trips last week and did fish the Tanner Bank area on one of them. Lot's of Bonito out there a few Yellowtail and no sign of Tuna is what captain TJ said of what he saw when he was there. If anyone is going to schedule any trips out there the Fall months is typically when they do it. I check boat schedules every day and if I see one going out there, "I'll let you know."

Hi etucker1959, thank you for your reply and input. I just do not like the long drive to San Diego anymore. I will be out there on the Grande (out of San Diego) next Saturday 9-24-2016 hunting for tuna and what ever would like to get caught. I have been riding the open boats since 1965 and still like the trips. I am still a fan of the El Dorado and wish they (the El Dorado) would do 1 1/2 days to San Clemente with no perch fishing along the kelp beds.
    Anyway I wil post a report of my trip this next weekend so the folks have something to read.
    TL's
    Bill / Jig-Guy

This same time last year, the Toronado was doing a lot of 1.5 trips out to Cortez and Tanner with great success and I went out a lot last year on them, but this years a different year. They had some of the best deals in town last year w. that 976 discount, but I only fished them once this year on an overnight. Wish there were some weekend 1.5 day trips to fish locally as well...and I'm with you...I hate going all the way to San Clemente only to have it turn into a blue perch/rockfish trip...Id rather spend the whole day fishing yellows or tuna and bomb out than have to resort to fishing blueperch.

Thanks for your reply. X2, what you have written is exactly how I how I see it. Traveling for hours (both ways) to go perch fishing sucks. I can live with a skunk but at least I am going for the real deal. A 1 1/2 day is worth the money an overnight is just a long boat ride (I M H O ).
    TL's
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenfish View Post
    This same time last year, the Toronado was doing a lot of 1.5 trips out to Cortez and Tanner with great success and I went out a lot last year on them, but this years a different year. They had some of the best deals in town last year w. that 976 discount, but I only fished them once this year on an overnight. Wish there were some weekend 1.5 day trips to fish locally as well...and I'm with you...I hate going all the way to San Clemente only to have it turn into a blue perch/rockfish trip...Id rather spend the whole day fishing yellows or tuna and bomb out than have to resort to fishing blueperch.