Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fat Cat'in in the LBC

Default Fat Cat'in in the LBC

I want to start off by saying thanks to this forum for helping me get back to the salt after a 45 year absence. My recent relocation to Long Beach has opened up new horizons, and the articles and posts and enthusiasm here have helped stoke the fishing fires.

I was getting frustrated by being shore bound and my first thought for getting onto the water was a kayak. Thankfully, I took the advice of a kayaking for beginners video and rented a kayak from the folks in Alamitos Bay. It wasn't for me.

So I started watching float tube videos and decided to give it a go.

Finally got all the pieces together and made it out on the water today for the first time and all I have to say is, "Yippee-Ki-Yay, this is for me!

I decided on the South Shore Launch Ramp because it is close to home and I've seen the wall there many times from the other side of the channel. I was mindful of the "people without trailers park in single length spaces" sign and so would up in the north forty with a fairly decent hike to the ramp from where I got pumped up. Gear management is part of the learning curve.

Here's a pic of the Super Fat Cat, stock out of the box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	49072

I knew the air and water temps so I opted for the board shorts and tee-shirt approach. I do have the PFD with me at all times, but I didn't feel the need to wear it. The Cat is super stable and I've always been a good swimmer and comfortable in the water. Even after 3+ hours in the water, I wasn't chilled and while the seat of my butt did get wet, I stayed perfectly dry from the waist up. Definitely felt more "on" the water than "in" the water and I liked the close connection to the water I was fishing. It was fun noticing how the tidal flow wasn't perfectly constant, there were definite surges. Never observed that from the shore.

Happy to be fishing those rocks the easy way.

Name:	happy.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	49073

I started off bumping a 3in BH off the bottom as I worked my way along the wall towards the Queen and I wasn't even to the Queensway bridge when I caught this guy.

Name:	halibut.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	49074

Talk about stoked! First fish from a tube is a halibut! I'm taking that as an omen of good things to come. He was courteous enough to get himself off the hook after giving me a good look. Definitely put a smile on my face.

The whole deal was pretty much an unqualified success as far as I am concerned. I surprised myself with my kick strength and stamina and I know they're going to improve. My favorite part was riding the tide back to the launch ramp once I decided it was time to head back. Perfect bounce troll speed with hardly any effort.

My ability to maneuver sucks, of course, but I'll get it down. I was already doing better by the end of the session than at the beginning.

Onward and upward! I know it's not for everyone, but it's for me. It's a relatively inexpensive way to get off the shore and out to the fish and I'm going to try and explore every possibility!

Happy fishing!
    Last edited by Ornery Bob; 09-17-2016 at 10:47 PM.

That's awesome Bob, welcome back to the salt! Here's to many more great trips!

Great report. Ive fished same area for a bit...not sure if it's legal in ur float tube but just be safe
    I know king harbor and port of San Pedro don't allow.....also there are tons of bat Rays and guitar fish in the bay; ur legs
    Might get stung back there. As for tide it can be strong!! I hv 10lb anchor that dragged along the bottom and wasn't heavy
    Enough. Also saw a small boat partying in front of the REEF restaurant only to pushed onto the rocks cuz he wasn't paying attention!!!

Awesome job! Definitely a good omen!

Congratulations on landing a halibut on your maiden voyage!! WTG!!
    Just be careful to avoid their toothy mouths.

Indeed ... a Hali is a good omen ... I hope to read lots of fish reports from you in the near future.

Thank you for the excellent fish report with fish pic's,

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 09-18-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: sp

Good stuff. You'll find yourself day dreaming about your next float tube session very soon. OR maybe you already are! lol I would suggest looking at wind reports before heading out on each outing as some newer tubers tend to overestimate their abilities and the winds. I've been caught in 10kt winds on more than one occasion where getting back to the launch proved to be a 2 hour endeavour. Let's just say that the kick back was miserable, but I did catch more fish!

Oh and watch out for fish spines. When I used to tube, I had a spottie land on its spine right on my left bladder. Fortunately I carry my pump with me so I just had to give that bladder a few pumps every 30 min. My buddy who experienced a similar situation forced us to cut one our trips short since his tube was one piece bladder.