Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Newport Back Bay Report

Default Newport Back Bay Report

Been fishing the upper newport bay the past couple days and it seemed promising, though I hadn't caught anything yet, until last night. I decided to head over that way after work since its about a mile away from work, threw a Texas rigged soft plastic grub and about 30 minutes and a bunch of nibbles later I landed this nice spotted bass, I have only been fishing consistently for about a month and this is my first good size fish, I was super stoked! Fishing through the sunset was a nice touch too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2789.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	49066

You may want to focus on the shaded areas under the docks, dropping down right next to the concrete piers and casting into the shaded areas along side the moored boats and ships.

"Congratulations" .... on landing such a toad of a "Grumpy"!!!

Thanx for the fish report w/ pic!

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks for the tips!

Nice job! Others have let me in on adding scent is helpful and it has worked the one time I was out there

Thanks for the report, and nice fish!

Not sure if you're aware of it or not, but "Upper Newport Bay" is a State Marine Conservation Area. You're allowed to fish from shore for "finfish" but it wouldn't hurt to check out the actual regs.

Upper Newport Bay State Marine Conservation Area

I also second Stumpfisher's recommendation to use something like Pro-Cure fish attractant. I'm also a big fan of using Google Earth to check out spots to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    Thanks for the report, and nice fish!

Not sure if you're aware of it or not, but "Upper Newport Bay" is a State Marine Conservation Area. You're allowed to fish from shore for "finfish" but it wouldn't hurt to check out the actual regs.

Upper Newport Bay State Marine Conservation Area

I also second Stumpfisher's recommendation to use something like Pro-Cure fish attractant. I'm also a big fan of using Google Earth to check out spots to fish.
    yeah, I had gone through the regs before fishing there! Thanks!
    There is only 2 spots to fish there as it is, one being where I caught this guy and the other a block away.

What do you look up on google search, I tried doing that but wasnt sure where to start haha

Here's a link: Upper Newport Bay on Google Maps

Switch to the "Earth" view by clicking on the little picture on the bottom left and zoom in.