Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow on Owens and small fish on Gull

Maybe the drought has affected the hatcheries/fish farms?

Maybe the drought [of money, overall] was effected by a state run by moronic officials?

Better get out and vote!

Btw, who'd be the best to vote for if I just want to be able to fish for the rest if my life?

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 10-02-2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: * of *

Just read, all the stickers are from UT?

Oops.

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 10-02-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: * stockers. *

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Because somebody got there following a Utah plant does not mean that the fishing was good all season long. There are obviously going to be spikes in fish caught based on the trophy stocking program that is in place.
    Gull is particularly "spiky" since it's so tiny. I see the same pattern every year. All the freshly stocked trout hang out mostly in only 3 places in the entire lake, and they get caught out pretty quickly by those that know what they're doing. Slims had a great trip, congrats to him and his family, but he alone probably accounted for 10% or more of that particular trophy fish drop. (nothing wrong with that, though. The marina probably doesn't mind either, as they like to see pictures out there of huge catches that get people excited)
    Last edited by shinbob; 10-02-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Because somebody got there following a Utah plant does not mean that the fishing was good all season long. There are obviously going to be spikes in fish caught based on the trophy stocking program that is in place. The discussion seems to be re: the DFW's poor stocking of all waters this season. I was there for a week last week and saw the lack of fish, stopped at Bishop creek for the fall colors on the way home and saw maybe 2 rainbows in all the spots I checked areas I know very well from years of visitation. On Thursday took a drive up to North before coming home, no fish other than the small brownies in the bridge hole, when I came back down I saw about 5 fish in the pool, small bows, obviously they planted, 5 trout in that hole that normally gets a couple net full. Now I know it's the fall and they cut back but to see the area (and that's not the only areas I observed without fish) completely devoid of fish was sad to say the least. Luckily I had made up my mind to do a more casual fishing trip and focus more on a "normal" type of vacation, hell even visited the insanity of Yosemite. By the way they are really doing a number on that place with construction and changes, it's been a while but with traffic and road work it sucked way more than I ever remember.

Vacation dollars are going to go even more outside this state if the powers that be don't pull their heads out of their back sides soon!
    Yeah, thats actually not what happened. The week I was there was a week and a half after last DFW plant, and a month after last trophy stocking. All fish were caught in the back end of the lake, no where near the marina where the fish are dumped. Maybe after 30 years I just have that lake dialed in.

Maybe but you are not the only one that has fished for that long up there. The only place I will fish Gull is in the back so yea I know the deal but my point is an anecdotal good trip in the month that the fish are being stocked regularly is not an indicator or the health of the stocking program, remember I wrote early and late season are when plants are being affected most. Gull as indicated is a small lake with a decent stocking program. Other lakes are going to fish well also where the DFW decides to be more generous. It's the overall health of the areas trout population that I am referring to so congratulations on your trip and I'm sure others had decent trips also but if you think that the amount of fish being stocked is satisfactory then I think you are wrong.

Besides after all those fish you caught in the pictures were likely not DFW fish unless they dumped a crapload of breaders in there.
    Last edited by seal; 10-03-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12