Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Silverwood Report + Video

1. Default Silverwood Report + Video

Finally made it up to the 'Wood. Between the algae closure and 2 fires, it's been tough just to get it up there.

Video:

Arrived just past sunset, too late for my tastes. Immediately spotted boils, with fish leaping out of the water, on the hike in. Didn't see any broken glass, and someone has tried to cover up the disgusting spray paint at the old parking pullout, impressive.

Rushed down to the water and tossed out a large topwater. About halfway into my retrieve I got hit, and landed a very skinny 18" striper. Water is quite low and weedy.

Fished the lake for another hour without so much as one hit. Plenty of boils on and off, but really seem to have a hard time getting them after it's much darker. Maybe bait at that time is better. Still, happy to get out and fish at Silverwood.
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 09-11-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Silversides are very small still. Subsurface lures are working better, topwater should improve soon. Try any small shad imitation. I am stubborn and will toss the topwater relentlessly but at some point you have to cave to catch more fish.

Nice been wanting to get out there for some topwater action thanks for the info maybe now i can stop being lazy and get my butt up there

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Silversides are very small still. Subsurface lures are working better, topwater should improve soon. Try any small shad imitation. I am stubborn and will toss the topwater relentlessly but at some point you have to cave to catch more fish.
    The topwater allure is addicting...it's hard to stop throwing at the boils!

Nice Carp! I need to get out there again. Mr. Stripes is fun.

Last Saturday, (9/10/16), I fished a small bass club night tournament at Silverwood and it was very tuff. 20 anglers weighed just 5 fish with the big fish weighing 3 lbs - 4 oz. There had been a day tournament and their big fish of that tournament weighed only 2 lbs 8 oz as I recall.

After the weigh-in my partner and I were taking down the flood lights and starting to head out and one of the Rangers stopped and asked how we had done. We said no keepers, 2 shorts and one striper +/- 3 lbs. He said it had been really tuff lately. He asked is we had seen how heavy the inlet channels was flowing and yet the water level had dropped +/- 2 feet in the last couple of days. It seems they are flowing water through Silverwood to fill some of the down stream lakes, i.e. DVL and SD reservoirs.

It was a gorgeous night but there was only 5 LMB weighed in for 20 anglers. Lots of top water action; but no takers. Small fish chasing shad in the weeds.

No skunk at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    No skunk at least.
    I skunked! My partner did a little better, but no keepers. It was frustrating with all of the LMB boiling in the weeds. Guys got blow-ups on their frogs in the weeds; but couldn't get them to hookup.

It was really nice to fish Silverwood without all of the water lice buzzing around! We fished Outhouse after the sun went down and it was an absolutely beautiful evening; but we moved around to Miller and the wind would blow hard down the cove then switch directions and blow the other way. Kind crazy.

9. Default

Went again at dusk. Wind was much less, seemed like it would be perfect topwater conditions.

Not.

Only one other car in the pullout. Able to jog from the lot to the water in 4 minutes, in time to see a very calm lake without a single boil, and much higher water than my prior trip. Had to fish from the overhangs. Had one small blow up on topwater, saw maybe 10 boils, sporadic, over about 1.5 hours worth of fishing. Slow!

[edit] Adding this video from the trip of calm water, and wonderful sunset:

Last edited by carpanglerdude; 09-29-2016 at 06:50 PM.