Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newport Harbor on a rented skiff 9-1

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Do they allow you to use portable trolling motors (like a Minn Kota Endura) in their skiffs? Is there even a good place to mount one?
    You can call or email them to find out. skiffman@pavilionskiff.com Or give us a call at 949-200-8602

We used to tie the skiff onto one of the buoys that are all over the bay, and using a sliding sinker rig (Carolina rig) of a 1/2 oz egg sinker with fresh live razor clams or ghost shrimp as bait and 8lb test line, and we would do very good on the Spotfin Croaker. Some of these fish would go 5 to 8 pounds! It's a bait and wait game, but while you wait for that bite, you can cast around you with jigs and lures for bass and Halibut. Just make sure that your croaker rod is attached to a good rod holder so you don't lose it when that croaker hooks himself as he swims off with that circle hook in his mouth. And try to fish while the tide is moving. Fishing during a slack tide is dead. Also, just like any fishing place, there are "honey holes" where croakers hang out. By asking around to fishermen that are willing to let you know their secrets, you get to know the bay better. Also watch the other bay fishermen to see how they are fishing and where they are catching fish. Just don't move into their spot or start crowding them!

Quote Originally Posted by hotramen View Post
    I thought about going with the live bait. Anchovies sardines does it matter? Maybe a size 2 hook?
    We prefer anchovies, the sardines are too large for the gear we use. A #2 hook is fine, I tend to collar hook them. By the Coast Guard Station over the grass beds I'll add a large split shot to get the anchovy to run deeper for halibut. I fish 20 lb braid with about a 2' 15 lb fluoro leader. Good luck and have fun, Verne

I had that short anchor line skiff before. I bring 50' of 1/4" nylon rope in my backpack now. as far as anchoring goes, I had the Harbor Patrol guys holler at me for anchoring in the harbor. The Police boat just went on past without a word??? I guess it depends on which guys are working that day. Always done well by the Coast Guard boat FYI..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12