Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Catalina private charter 9-2

Default Catalina private charter 9-2

Apologies for the late report.

I took a private charter on the Triton Friday 9-2. There were about 22 on the boat, but we still managed to cross lines and create snags. Left the harbor at about 0630 after picking up some small sardines. It was pretty overcast and cloudy until the afternoon.

We were targeting YT at Catalina, but only managed to pick up 2 or 3 small ones. Most used flylined bait. Moved around a few times and got some bones and some legal calicos. The ones using squid and dropper loop setups were able to get some good sized treefish and a few sheephead. Good sized perch as well.

Overall good number of fish, but the ideal target YT just was not there. Water temp at Catalina had gone down and the bait were hardy the whole time. Crew were helpful and cordial. Big thanks to Jeff for making me a double cheeseburger. Something about eating a burger on the water makes every bite special.

Hmmm, went out the same day on the Sport King since it's usually always fun to fish with Bruce. There were 4 or 5 larger ones caught..18-22 lbs so there's some around, but according to the crew its been just a morning bite on the big ones then smaller ones in the afternoon. I got one that went 21-22 lbs, lost another. I saw your charter party board the Triton before we boarded...you had a lot of guys for that boat...I think over 25. Usually when they do limited load open party its 25 guys max...its kind of a small stern to fish more than that...I've fished it once before last year on a limited load open party. Its a good boat with a good captain and crew but I dont think I'd want to fish more than 25 on that boat. Its nice because it has the RSW, so if you catch a nice yellow, it doesn't sit in your sack all day til you get back which is a big bonus if you get some yellowtail, tuna, or any fish really.

According to the charter master we had 23. No big YT for our boat. Our jackpot fish was a calico about 6 or 7 pounds.

The RSW is nice.