Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Legal Halibut Labor Day 9/5/16 AM Report

Default Legal Halibut Labor Day 9/5/16 AM Report

Headed out this morning. Decisions, decisions. I honestly couldn't decide whether to hit the beach or the goon? After going to check the beach, I decided staying dry won overall. Happy Labor Day! I was thinking maybe I would be able to get a Corvina, if all else fails. Arrived in the dark and nothing was biting. Zero bites and second guessing my choice. After two hours of casting plastics, then hard baits, back to plastics. Nothing. Then on the sexy smelt 3" BH I get a strike. Couldn't really feel it, but I knew it was there. The smallest Sandbass I have ever gotten. I even tried keeping it on the hook and seeing if I could get a strike from a hungry Hali. Made a few casts and no dice. Fish was still alive and released. Decided to try the hard bait one more time. Tied on the LC and nothing again. Said to myself just a few more casts and then BAMM! The Hali came top water in close had her hooked good. Thrashing all over! Ended the morning with a 24 inch Halibut. What a fight she was!

Sandbass

Halibut pics.

Measured shots

After hook removal.

Close up teeth shot!

Glad I stuck with it and the LC came through once again!

Thanks for reading my report and good luck out here. Be safe!

Joel

Outstanding! Thanks for the pics and report.

Bay or surf don't matter, you seem to get it done Joel...........V

Now that's a Labor Day!?
    Robert
    <><

Nice tasty fish!

Cya Tuna Vic

Nice never was able to catch a keeper Halibut in my salt water days.

Hi ya kastmaster1337,

I've felt that same exact way so many times ... "exhausted and defeated" ....
    but then that tiny lil' voice in my head would say ... "just one more cast" ... and .... BAM!!!
    You hung in there ... your patience and determination really paid off for you!!! WTG!!

Thanx for the fishing report with a happy ending,

SP Dan <"))><

Awesome report! Way to go and awesome flatter, you deserved it! that little sandy probably thought if he could get that bait down he wouldn't have to eat for a week! Crazy, barely fit in his mouth

Thumbs up

Congrats on another nice legal, well done.