Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 8/18 on the kolo.... practice will make perfect?

Default 8/11 on the kolo.... practice will make perfect?

This report is late... late late.. too busy at work these days catching up, but thought i'd get it up.

took the day off and ran off shore with jeff on the kolo. The 2 of us have been trying to get on the big bft, and at that point, we both had not gotten our goal ( as of today, he's finally on the board with some big uns)...

We left and launched out of DP nice and early, made macs( 30 pieces should be more than enough for the blues) before sunrise and made our heading towards what was a halfway point between the 181 and 43. Goal was to get to that area and fly the Yummy as that was what the big BFT were biting.

As we pass the 181, signs of life start to show and we start looking. About 20 minutes pass the high spot, Jeff spots a nice paddy. We slow down and drive by and jeff see's a flash and says dodo! We put the boat in neutral and throw out some fly lined macs. At first, we see the small dodo try to take the bait, but no luck. then, Jeff get's bit and the fish takes him for a short run. He gets the fish to color and we bounce over a small yt. Next i drop a mac in and see a flash and see some nice dodos swipe my mac, but no hook up. I get another bait out and immediately my reel is screaming. I fight the fish for a nice run and bring him to color. It's a nice fat YT but we make eye contact and he takes off under the boat, and ping, he breaks free off the prop... heartbreak.

Next jeff is on again and fights it, nice fight and at color, its a nice sized dodo, maybe 15 pounds?

This is where practice makes perfect, i try to gaff the fish, hoping for a perfect head gaff, but instead i'm swiping and missing like crazy.... i guess practice will make perfect, not to lose the fish, jeff takes the gaff and gets the dodo over! His first dodo of the summer!

Right after, jeff hooks up again, and this time a really nice fight. With deep color, once again, i'm up to gaff and miss... and miss again...

we get the fish to gaff and we continue picking fish off the paddy. With our macks dwindling in number, we leave the paddy with biting yellows and dodos in search of our main target BFT.

we move on and start trolling, get the yummy flyer out and 5 minutes out we see a school of tuna. not the right school, small yellows, however we skip the yummy perfectly over the school and see them trying to bite the yumy, but no luck. school sinks out and we move on.

the rest of the day was school after school of smaller yft that we pass through, still looking for the bft.

around 3 pm, we see a large school of bft flying out of the water and start to target the area... we troll and skip, skip and troll for hours, but unfortrunately we never got the lucky bite.

luckily for us we found a magic paddy early and picked up some nice fish.

To the next time....

Last edited by flyhigh123; 09-03-2016 at 12:59 AM.

Great action! Thanks for the video!

Thumbs up

Awesome stuff right there, great job!