Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FYI: Lake Gregory Fishing Derby September 3rd, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I hear you. However, I will say that aout a month ago, my wife and were hiking around the lake and two guys were limiting out for a few days that they were on vacation at Crestline by midmorning. And they were decent size - meaning not the tiny 8 inch ones. Would say more like 2/3 to 1 lb. Doesn't sound huge but looked decent. Just FYI.

They do claim to stock a lot more tha 200 lbs but then I am not there in person to watch them stock.
    I have first hand info. and without putting them on blast, although it appears I already have, they are not exactly honest about their stocking program.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I have first hand info. and without putting them on blast, although it appears I already have, they are not exactly honest about their stocking program.
    Seal,

Is there a log they need to sign on how much got stocked?

Because if not, why not just outright lie?

"We stocked 12 tons of fish today!"*

*Offer not valid Monday through Sunday

Interesting reads and all valid speculations.

I was going to suggest that if you guys fish Gregory, perhaps you can drop by the lake house and let them know how far you drove, and that you came because they claim to stock a fair bit. Also, pay the $8 fishing fee. IN the end, the management stock in part because it made financial sense. The first year, they did stock but few paid the $8 so they apparently had a substantive loss on the fishing end of things. But this year, more people are paying. It is sort of an honor system as they don't always have people walking the lake - but they do sometimes.

As to skill, stockers or not, my opinion is that there is always skill involved in fishing. That's why 10% catch perhaps 90% of the fish - stocked or wild. If not, everyone would be catching about the same with stockers.

UL

What that company would like to do is fence in the lake, this I guarantee you. Without the fence their return on investment will never work, I'm sorry the honor system doesn't work too well in this society and this is a very money first corporation (yes I know all corps. are but some are more greedy by far than others, see DVL and other places this company is involved). I am pretty aware of this operation for reasons I cannot give, but admit that I was completely against running this as a pay to fish operation from the beginning. Lake Gregory was one of the few little gems left even if the DFW didn't always do the best job at stocking it.

On the bright side a Jess Ranch truck was spotted heading up that way yesterday, now it's possible they bypassed and hit Green Valley lake and I have not heard of a stocking yet but maybe they will do a better job this year. Would love to go back to tossing fly's on occasion or even a kayak or tube session.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Seal,

Is there a log they need to sign on how much got stocked?

Because if not, why not just outright lie?

"We stocked 12 tons of fish today!"*

*Offer not valid Monday through Sunday
    As a matter of fact they do everything in their power to not get that information out, never said they were dumb.

Jess, good post. I too am concerned that the honor system likely doesn't work unfortunately. But in that, I don't blame the management, but our own society of which I am a member. I realize that some are frustrated by the Lake Gregory change of management a few years back and I count myself as one of those who did not like it. BUT given that change happened, I am still hoping that management will get enough return to manage the place well which includes having good fishing. '

IF they are stocking as much as they say they are, and I did see ONE video recently that was persuasive, I do hope that we will be fair and balanced when reporting this online. Lake Gregory really is a gem of a place. I don't know if I'll go that far but I can understand why some people call it 'little switzerland'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12