Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Lake Gregory Fishing Derby September 3rd, 2016

Default FYI: Lake Gregory Fishing Derby September 3rd, 2016

Just acting as a messenger.

Veterans of Foreign Wars is holding their annual September fishing derby at Lake Gregory.

Here are some information:

Date: September 3rd, 2016
    Time: 7am to 4pm.
    Cost: $15 per ticket which includes fishing access fee so no additional cost for fishing. If you part at the parking lot, there is a charge - not sure but I think it is $8. Park on the street and it is free but there is limited street parking.
    Age brackets: Children: 12 and under,
    Teen: 13-17
    Adults 18 and up.
    2000 lbs of trout released. However I can vouch that Crestline is quite warm right now so not sure how well they will bite.
    NO fishing license required for September 3rd.

Lots of prizes including 15 tagged fish, and cash prizes for the top three fish for each age category. (In the past, $100 for largest fish in each category.) Trophies for top three finishers. There will also be a lot of other prizes. All prizes in the past has been awarded at 4pm by drawing/raffle if they are not won by those competing, including a cash raffle at the end at 4pm. You can rent boat from the boat house but shore fishing is genrally also productive.

Monies raised beyond the prizes goes to VFW and other local charities.

Lake Gregory is a beautiful lake. According to WeatherUnderground, temperature will peak at 70 degrees on Saturday - a perfect day! There is also a small 'water park'with slides and bounce houses etc if you have family members who may be interested.

I am not affiliated with the derby but do think that generally they are the best run derby at Lake Gregory each year.
    Last edited by Ultralight; 09-01-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Good info!

Welcome. :)

I don't want to poop on this but I will be shocked if 2k pounds are put in by the concessionaire. That is more poundage than they have put in this whole year. They toss a couple hundred pounds in every few months and DFW has done almost no planting. Maybe this organization actually does get the 2k, if they put that many in there might actually be some action at Gregory for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I don't want to poop on this but I will be shocked if 2k pounds are put in by the concessionaire. That is more poundage than they have put in this whole year. They toss a couple hundred pounds in every few months and DFW has done almost no planting. Maybe this organization actually does get the 2k, if they put that many in there might actually be some action at Gregory for a few days.
    I hear you. However, I will say that aout a month ago, my wife and were hiking around the lake and two guys were limiting out for a few days that they were on vacation at Crestline by midmorning. And they were decent size - meaning not the tiny 8 inch ones. Would say more like 2/3 to 1 lb. Doesn't sound huge but looked decent. Just FYI.

They do claim to stock a lot more tha 200 lbs but then I am not there in person to watch them stock.

Well, quick update Seal. I was by the lakehouse this evening getting the scoop on stocking, and mentioned your comment because I myself was not sure. A guy who worked there by the name of Matthew pulled out his iphone and said, "Hey I video taped it." It was a 10 minute video and they definitely stocked trout from two tanks. I don't know if it was 2000 lbs but I saw at least hundreds of fish coming out of the two tanks. And they were very lively - zooming about. I had always thought fish out of stocking tanks would be lethargic but apparently not.

They also said that in all, they picked up 3 fish who died over the past two days so presumably most of them made it.

Finally, there is apparently quite a few prizes ranging from $100 raffles, $100 top fish in each category and lots of gifts and gift certificate including $100 restaurant gift certs. ALL will be raffled off. This is done by the VFW people and the lake house is simply helping VFW out with the stocking.

I don't work for them or get anything out of this. In fact, the fewer the people going the better it is for my son and I but I figure since they seem to be sincerely trying to do a good job and it is for a good cause.

I can say that it was a beautiful evening by the lake this evening.
    Last edited by Ultralight; 09-02-2016 at 07:18 PM.

How's the fishing up there? Planning on going tomorrow.

Apologies for the late reply.

Well.....my son and I got to fish right next to a gentlemen we just met that morning. He killed it - caught 10 trout, released most of them. The largest was 2.51 lbs. Many over 1 lbs. I saw another gentleman show up with a 2+ pounder also. So they are there.

BUT it does take skill, to state the obvious, as some did not do nearly as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp noriaga 20160903_163039.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	49006

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Well, quick update Seal. I was by the lakehouse this evening getting the scoop on stocking, and mentioned your comment because I myself was not sure. A guy who worked there by the name of Matthew pulled out his iphone and said, "Hey I video taped it." It was a 10 minute video and they definitely stocked trout from two tanks. I don't know if it was 2000 lbs but I saw at least hundreds of fish coming out of the two tanks. And they were very lively - zooming about. I had always thought fish out of stocking tanks would be lethargic but apparently not.

They also said that in all, they picked up 3 fish who died over the past two days so presumably most of them made it.

Finally, there is apparently quite a few prizes ranging from $100 raffles, $100 top fish in each category and lots of gifts and gift certificate including $100 restaurant gift certs. ALL will be raffled off. This is done by the VFW people and the lake house is simply helping VFW out with the stocking.

I don't work for them or get anything out of this. In fact, the fewer the people going the better it is for my son and I but I figure since they seem to be sincerely trying to do a good job and it is for a good cause.

I can say that it was a beautiful evening by the lake this evening.
    Glad they finally did something. I can only say that since the management company took over the stocking program has sucked to put it mildly and the DFW has put very few fish in where as prior to the change they actually stocked it.

I wonder who funded the stocking? I'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    BUT it does take skill, to state the obvious, as some did not do nearly as well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp noriaga 20160903_163039.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	49006
    Thanks this gave me a good chuckle. Skill, stocked trout? There are some nice bass in there though, put many good size ones in last winter to control the massive amounts of miniature crappie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast